feeding

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by BRASWELL, Aug 29, 2010.

1. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

This is very expensive, $4.88 at Sams(10lb), .45 cent per pound in 25 pound bag.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't go to Sams, but at wal-mart, 5 bags of 5 lbs. is cheaper than a 25 lb. bag.
    Aldi is cheaper, still.

3. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

What do you think about a central feeding area for several hives. Can we pour sugar in the bird bath?

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Open feeding can be done but remeber 2 things 1st make sure it is fa enough from your hives that it dont start robbing of the hive and 2nd when you open feed you maybe feeding not just your bees but any hive within a 3 mile radius of the feeder.

5. BRASWELL

BRASWELL New Member

It seems to me when I use the internal hive feeders it creates a frenzy in the yard around all the hives. The strong smell oif sugar inside the hive must set them off. I have place a feeder about 30 yards away at a water spigot they seem to enjoy

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sugar price is all over the place as far as I can tell. last year I ended up buying sugar in 4# bags at Walmart only because it was 10 cents a pound cheaper than sugar at Sam's in 50# bags. Go figure?

feeding almost always creates some problem. limiting the problem is really the key to dealing with this issue.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I thought i would try something different this year. I had a dealer call and offer 55 gal drums of sugar syurp for $115.00 so i bought two. A bee club member bought two also and picked them up at a meeting place (joplin, Mo.), she brought them to my town (she live 5 miles from town) and we loaded my two on my truck with a barrel dolly. The barrels weigh 445lbs and the syurp was so thick my pump couldn't move it in a stream but got it started and i got enough in other buckets and barrels to get it out of the truck :thumbsup: . Some spilled on the ground and there was a cloud of bees there in minutes, the bees loved it.I don't know if this was a bargin or not but i should have thought more of how i was going to get it out of my truck :confused: . I had syurp and bees all over me. :lol: Jack

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Jack, lay it down. Place 2 or 3 old tires on the ground. Roll or slide it off the truck. Then stand it back up. It works great, as the tires absorb the shock.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Iddee, that's a good idea, but i don't think i'm horse enough anymore to lay it down (one bad knee and the other has been replaced). My first idea was to put a spicket in the lid (one had a hole for it the other lid didn't) but the lids didn't fit that tight (syurp had leaked out around the lip.) I was going to lay them down in the truck with the tractor and take them to the bee yards and use a hose and a bucket to fill top feeders to the ones that need it. This is my first try at this and may buy another one or two ( figures .25 per lb.) and may try your method,lord knows i have enough old tractor and truck tires and i probably wouldn't lose much if they do leak a little. Thanks Iddee. Jack

PS Things never work out the way i plan here anyway. :lol:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the are drums with the two ridges around the sides, the forks on your tractor will hold on the upper ridge enough to lift the drum and drive away. Just push the forks together so they spread a bit as the straddle the drum.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like once you get around dealing with the heavy barrels you have stumbled across quite the deal jack.

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I only have a bucket and a hay fork fore my loader on the tractor (been looking fore a fork), but i got enough syurp out of the barrels that i could walk the barrels into the bucket and put them where i wanted them :thumbsup: .Like i said this is my first try at this and should know what i'm getting into next time. Tec, i think it may be a little better deal than i thought at first, the syurp is thicker than 2 to 1 but i don't think i'll cut it any, we'll see. Jack

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Your prior description made me wonder if the 445#/barrel weight was not a little low or if the barrels are small?

I have considered buying syrup myself. Since I have no craning capacity here I will likely have to figure out how to pump the stuff.

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec, they were the reg. 55 gal. metal barrels with metal lids and the ring clamp band. (no gasket). The weight might be more than 445# i had a hard time just to budge them by my self and it took two of us to get them on the barrel dolly. The club member that picked them up was told they weighed 445#? I do know that if you don't watch what your doing handeling them, you could get hurt or killed. :shock: Jack

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at 8.5# per gallon (about the weight of water I think) the barrel (less the weight of the barrel would be about 470#. so I would guess based upon your description that the barrels are 100-150 heavier than the 445#.

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Tec. your right, i called them to see about gettig two more barrels later on. I ask him what the weight of the syurp barrels were and he said around 470# to 475# and if i remember right he said the 445# was the weight of the sugar in the syurp?? Seems like it would take more water than that to liquidize that much sugar :confused: . Jack

17. riverrat

riverrat New Member

if the syrup is as thick as you say it is the moisture content cant be real high

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I fed some of the syurp today between rains, i fed it straight no HBH mix. We are in a dearth now but after 6inches of rain yesterday and its been raining off and on today from around 1:00pm and raining now as i post this, the aster and wild mints will start to bloom :beg: . I had to stop feeding the robbing got so bad i reduced the entrances and put ductape(sp?) over the top entrances,i got three stings and they were flying into me and bumping me all over.I usually have this problem if i mix HBH in the syurp but this was straight sugar syurp (i have top feeders on all my hives). If the sun is shining in the mourning before 11:00am (while their working the buckwheat) i will try feeding while their busy. :thumbsup: Jack

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I was having 'the girls' clean up some stuff out of the honey house yesterday and it sure looked like a panic. kind of fun to watch. so much excitement.

we still are desperate for some rain here. it looked like we were going to get a spat of rain but nothing happened beyond dark clouds and promises.

20. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I saw sugar at Aldi yesterday for $1.89/5lb I haven't seen sugar that low in a long time!