Feral Hogs

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by brooksbeefarm, Jul 23, 2013.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

SW. Mo. has alot of feral hogs,so far they haven't bothered any of my hives. I have hives in deep remote wooded areas that are in there habitat and was wondering if anyone has had there hives attacked by them? We are also getting more black bears migrating up from Arkansas,looks like i'll have to put a elec. fence up before long.:roll: Jack

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Some of the best sausage I've ever had was at a family reunion (wife's side) at Barrhead, Alberta. It was made with wild boar.
    As far as the bears, we have them here on the east coast as well. I am on borrowed time with some of my yards as far as electric fence goes.

3. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Lots of them in North Alabama as well but so far so good. They haven't bothered the bees but it's just a matter of time. Those things eat any and everything.

4. BKF

BKF Administrator Staff Member

I have friends who are having issues in Texas, but no reports on their hives, just their gardens and golf courses..

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like Wayne said, they eat everything. The Mo. Conservation Dept. has a open season on feral hogs and no limit. Remember years ago family members would put a fence around the rocky river bluffs and turn hogs in to root out and eat the copperhead snakes where the family liked to fish. Hope they never get a taste for honey.:eek: Jack

6. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

7. Ray

Ray Member

Michigan has an open season also, but if you are wandering around with a firearm, you need to have a license. A feral hog licence doesn't exist, so you can't have one. If you have a hunting license and the license is valid, at the time you are hunting. I guess, you could shoot a feral pig. There are a lot of lawyer here and it gets confusing. The Department of Agriculture is involved and stepping on the DNR's toes and the DNR is trying to return the favor.

I have seen pigs close up and they don't have much hair. A honeybee wouldn't have much trouble getting her point across.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ray, a snake can bite a pig in most areas of it's body and the venom won't go through the fat. I doubt a bee sting is going to bother it much on most of it's body.

9. Lburou

Lburou Member

You are right about that, but at the same time, I'd bet on the bee: The bee's preference for face and ear placement of the stinger would find vulnerable spots on the face of the hog. :)

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My son killed one 2 years ago in St. Clair Co. Mo. where the Osage river and the Big SAc river come together, it weighed over 500 lbs. called some kind of Russian feral hog? Now that was one big ugly hog, and with the tusk it had, he could do some damage to what ever he was after.:eek: Jack

11. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Here's a Texas feral pig taking his final dirt knap. I built fences around my ranch apiaries. They will eat anything.

View attachment 8867

12. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

I don't know if it is true or not, but I heard if you kill one under a feeder, there's not much chance of killing another one there. They supposedly can smell the blood and won't go back. My brother's buddy traps them and won't kill one in the trap. He always releases them before taking them out...

13. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Beeracuda:

I shot that pig under a game feeder that is about 90 yards from the porch at my ranch headquarters. Over the past 10 years I would estimate that I have shot a couple of hundred pigs under this feeder. I shoot and trap somewhere north of 100 feral pigs per year. All of the trapped pigs are shot in the trap. Fortunately, I am able to give almost all of the trapped pigs away. I keep an updated list of "people who will accept pigs" on my I-phone.

When I state they will eat anything, I mean they eat each other. Yes, wild pigs eat other dead pigs. Hell, there's no need to let the buzzards have all of mom.

They are smart, and I have to move my traps from place to place, as they do become "trap smart."

14. BKF

Wish I could have done it! Many counties are offering a bounty right now. My area is not yet, but when they do I look forward to a little extra income.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

If a Black Bear and a feral hog got into combat i use to think the bear would win, but after seeing the hog my son shot i'm not so sure? Jack

16. Lburou

Lburou Member

Somebody should tell these people then, they are offering airborne hog hunts here in Texas. ;)
    Only $21xx a person on weekdays. People not experiencing fire ants or feral hogs, first hand, cannot imagine the carnage these two non-native and invasive species have wreaked on the South. :)

17. BKF

Fire ants are horrific down here. I have to take measures weekly to keep them out of my yard and they still make their way back.

18. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Our state wildlife biologist tells me that feral pigs breed at seven months of age and have almost three liters of pigs per year. I see eight to 10 or more in all the liters. There rate of reproduction means that I will not be able to ever be rid of them. To me, it is a pig "jihad." When I put pressure on them, they mostly move off my place for a period of weeks, but they roam about so much that a new herd of them will soon be arriving. If I let up on my jihad, the pigs grow in such numbers that they literally root up my pastures.

There is no season or limit on feral pigs, but a hunting license is required, UNLESS you are a designated hunter as per the land owner's written instructions. Lots of out of state hunters come to Texas to hunt wild pigs, and the state of Texas wants them to purchase an out-of-state hunting license.

19. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I have seen CCTV photos of wild boar in mainland Europe eating out of supermarket shelves!!!