Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I took a 5lb jar of honey that had crystallized and put it a pan of warm water to reliquify it. As is went back into liquid form I noticed quite a mass of frothyness forming. It foamed to such a point that the froth started to come over the top of the jar. I reached for a spoon with the intent of taking a few tastes...enough to get what was overflowing.
It had an odd, but pleasant taste, and I wondered if this honey had fermented. Having never tasted fermented honey, I am not sure. I ended up eating "all" of the foam that come up, and the honey also tasted really good.
So...I'm wondering if this honey had indeed fermented...or if something else happened. I have never had honey froth up like that when being reliquified. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Warming like that also tests for poisons in your product.
Sounds like you have a batch of tainted honey. :sad:
Send whatever quantities you have left to me and I'll dispose of it safely for you. :thumbsup: :rolling:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
It had an odd, but pleasant taste, and I wondered if this honey had fermented. Having never tasted fermented honey, I am not sure. I ended up eating "all" of the foam that come up, and the honey also tasted really good.
So...I'm wondering if this honey had indeed fermented...
if you passed out and your wife woke you up the next morning and you couldn't remember a thing......it might have been fermented:lol:

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
in the words of fog horn leg horn. I say I say air bubbles being released as the honey became thinner. Unless you have a taste for jail house alcohol I would say it wouldnt be a pleasent tast unless you are making mead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts