Fermented honey?

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Barry Tolson, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Recently I took a 5lb jar of honey that had crystallized and put it a pan of warm water to reliquify it. As is went back into liquid form I noticed quite a mass of frothyness forming. It foamed to such a point that the froth started to come over the top of the jar. I reached for a spoon with the intent of taking a few tastes...enough to get what was overflowing.
    It had an odd, but pleasant taste, and I wondered if this honey had fermented. Having never tasted fermented honey, I am not sure. I ended up eating "all" of the foam that come up, and the honey also tasted really good.
    So...I'm wondering if this honey had indeed fermented...or if something else happened. I have never had honey froth up like that when being reliquified. Any thoughts?

2. melrose

melrose New Member

Warming like that also tests for poisons in your product.
    Sounds like you have a batch of tainted honey. :sad:
    Send whatever quantities you have left to me and I'll dispose of it safely for you. :thumbsup: :rolling:

3. melrose

melrose New Member

I'm slowly catchin' on to how this site works :wink:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Fun, isn't it? :wink: :lol:

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

if you passed out and your wife woke you up the next morning and you couldn't remember a thing......it might have been fermented:lol:

6. melrose

melrose New Member

Shooooooot yeah

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

in the words of fog horn leg horn. I say I say air bubbles being released as the honey became thinner. Unless you have a taste for jail house alcohol I would say it wouldnt be a pleasent tast unless you are making mead.