Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its Day 3 for me...

I just looked at the hive.. Its all quiet.. no bees out..... Now I am thinking my neighbor poision them already...lol But its a slight drizzle about 55 degrees .. It should be sunny in the hi 60's to low 70's by noon time... I will take a peak back then..

Noon.... It is still drizzling but I go take another peak at the girls... Very Few out like 3 or 4 .. Not really Flying just sitting there
Rectangle Wood Gas Composite material Plant Arthropod Wood Pest Insect Spider Insect Arthropod Pest Parasite Membrane-winged insect

Also found a few Dead on ground .. Drones?
Road surface Grass Asphalt Plant Soil Road surface Asphalt Grass Tar Groundcover

About 4:30 Stoped raining so I figure Lets go se the girls.... A few more Girls Flying around about 2 dz..

Plant Wood Grass Gas Automotive wheel system Plant Wheel Gas Wood Grass Gas Wood Composite material Grass Groundcover Wood Pollinator Wall Gas Composite material

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some more pics looks like the girls are working... I know some are blurry but you could see that they are brining back pollen..
Brown Insect Arthropod Wood Amber Wood Pollinator Wall Gas Composite material Wood Plant Terrestrial plant Tints and shades Groundcover Wood Floor Rectangle Wood stain Twig Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Wood Rectangle Floor Flooring Hardwood Rectangle Wood Grey Beige Flooring Insect Wood Arthropod Grey Reptile

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah, there's pollen coming in which is a good sign I'm told. Good looking hive set up also.

I'll ask this because I've never used one, why do you still have an entrance reducer on?

·
Super Moderator
3,579 Posts
It will warm up, and they will get more active, and hopefully all will be well, and you will have honey.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I really didnt think about the temp... more as it is only hived on thursday.. I really dont know how long to keep it on..lol
temps do figure into e/rs and also having new hives, once population builds, if you see them jamming up or bumping into each other trying to get in the front door that would be an indication to remove it.....
i can't help but laugh medic, your e/r's are still upside down :lol:
btw, the bees don't care!

·
Super Moderator
3,579 Posts
I have found a piece of 1x2 about an inch shorter than the hive entrance to make a marvelous cheap entrance reducer. Unscientific though it is!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
It's good to keep the entrance reduced to about 1" or so if the hive is new- they would have a hard time defending thier hive against robbers until they get established. No need to widen the entrance until there is very high heat or a big traffic jam there.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I know... I figure thats what I will be known for....lol
lol medic, quite possibly, that's a good thing!.....so i think your signature could be an upside down entrance reducer?!.........:yahoo:

btw, omie mentioned keeping your e/r to 1" or so, what you have going and at the widest is fine.....mmmm cuz, with your strategy, you have both going.....:lol:

can't help it medic, enjoy the bees! you are doing great!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol medic, quite possibly, that's a good thing!.....so i think your signature could be an upside down entrance reducer?!.........:yahoo:

btw, omie mentioned keeping your e/r to 1" or so, what you have going and at the widest is fine.....mmmm cuz, with your strategy, you have both going.....:lol:

can't help it medic, enjoy the bees! you are doing great!
I look at it like this... its a sidedoor...lol

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I look at it like this... its a sidedoor...lol
quite the side door, that's alright, this year i flipped the wrong side down on two bottom boards.....didn't notice it until after all the work was done, and i just went, aw phooey.......but will have to get them flipped back around before shshshsh, cold weather comes around.:doh:
how's your bees?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One week in Wooo Hoo. First and most important.... NO STINGS!!!.. I have not been in the hive since day 4, But I did check the hive top feeder to make sure the bees are taking the feed...

As you can see the girls like the feeder. No girls drowning in feeder. I must say it was maybe $2-$3 more then the avg hive top feeder But I must say it was worth it. The girls ave very calm. I had no vail, or jacket and was not even buzzed.

The Girls Coming and going. Working . Again very calm I was 3 inches from the enterence and none were buzzing me or even checking me out. They were just going about thier day. If the weather holds up I will check them again on Sunday .. Mothers Day..

·
Registered
586 Posts
Looking good Medic:thumbsup: And if you want your entrance reducers oriented that way, I'm right there with you. All of mine are like that :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your entrance reducer is in the same way mine is. Maybe we can make our way the new right-side-up :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts