Few more newbie pics

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Medic1259, May 5, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

So its Day 3 for me...

I just looked at the hive.. Its all quiet.. no bees out..... Now I am thinking my neighbor poision them already...lol But its a slight drizzle about 55 degrees .. It should be sunny in the hi 60's to low 70's by noon time... I will take a peak back then..

Noon.... It is still drizzling but I go take another peak at the girls... Very Few out like 3 or 4 .. Not really Flying just sitting there
    P5050002.jpg P5050006.jpg P5050007.jpg

Also found a few Dead on ground .. Drones?
    P5050008.jpg P5050009.jpg

About 4:30 Stoped raining so I figure Lets go se the girls.... A few more Girls Flying around about 2 dz..

P5050013.jpg P5050014.jpg P5050016.jpg P5050017.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Some more pics looks like the girls are working... I know some are blurry but you could see that they are brining back pollen..
    P5050024.jpg P5050017.jpg P5050019.jpg P5050020.jpg P5050021.jpg P5050022.jpg P5050025.jpg P5050023.jpg

3. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Yeah, there's pollen coming in which is a good sign I'm told. Good looking hive set up also.

I'll ask this because I've never used one, why do you still have an entrance reducer on?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

His temps in NY might be like mine up here, still close to freezing some nights. Plus it's a new install.

5. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I really didnt think about the temp... more as it is only hived on thursday.. I really dont know how long to keep it on..lol

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

It will warm up, and they will get more active, and hopefully all will be well, and you will have honey.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

temps do figure into e/rs and also having new hives, once population builds, if you see them jamming up or bumping into each other trying to get in the front door that would be an indication to remove it.....
    i can't help but laugh medic, your e/r's are still upside down :lol:
    btw, the bees don't care!

8. Gypsi

I have found a piece of 1x2 about an inch shorter than the hive entrance to make a marvelous cheap entrance reducer. Unscientific though it is!

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I know... I figure thats what I will be known for....lol

Its been raining the last few days so I have not gone to check the feeder

10. Omie

Omie New Member

It's good to keep the entrance reduced to about 1" or so if the hive is new- they would have a hard time defending thier hive against robbers until they get established. No need to widen the entrance until there is very high heat or a big traffic jam there.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

lol medic, quite possibly, that's a good thing!.....so i think your signature could be an upside down entrance reducer?!.........:yahoo:

btw, omie mentioned keeping your e/r to 1" or so, what you have going and at the widest is fine.....mmmm cuz, with your strategy, you have both going.....:lol:

can't help it medic, enjoy the bees! you are doing great!

12. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I look at it like this... its a sidedoor...lol

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

quite the side door, that's alright, this year i flipped the wrong side down on two bottom boards.....didn't notice it until after all the work was done, and i just went, aw phooey.......but will have to get them flipped back around before shshshsh, cold weather comes around.:doh:
    how's your bees?

14. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

One week in Wooo Hoo. First and most important.... NO STINGS!!!.. I have not been in the hive since day 4, But I did check the hive top feeder to make sure the bees are taking the feed...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As you can see the girls like the feeder. No girls drowning in feeder. I must say it was maybe $2-$3 more then the avg hive top feeder But I must say it was worth it. The girls ave very calm. I had no vail, or jacket and was not even buzzed.

[​IMG]

The Girls Coming and going. Working . Again very calm I was 3 inches from the enterence and none were buzzing me or even checking me out. They were just going about thier day. If the weather holds up I will check them again on Sunday .. Mothers Day..

15. Gypsi

Good for you.

16. jim314

jim314 New Member

Looking good Medic:thumbsup: And if you want your entrance reducers oriented that way, I'm right there with you. All of mine are like that :)

17. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Your entrance reducer is in the same way mine is. Maybe we can make our way the new right-side-up :)

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

so you guys all have 'side doors' like medic?! :lol:

19. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Bees are looking good! We have enjoyed Week 1, keep info coming! :thumbsup: