filling frame (division board) feeders and drowning bees. this is what i did!

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by adamant, Dec 8, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

this pic shows how i used to fill the feeder
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    drilled another hole in the feeder

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    bought caps from grainger 4.00/25
    [​IMG]

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Good Idea thanks for sharing

3. adamant

adamant Member

i added some notches in the wood so its easier to pry the cap off with the hive tool! see pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Forgive my ignorance, but how do the bees get to the syrup and how do you keep them from drowning when feeding?

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The hole with the cap is one he drilled so he didn't have to pore the syrup down the hole with the bee screen. If the syrup is pored slowly the bees have time to move up the tube as the syrup rises otherwise you are poring the syrup on top of any bees that are in the screened tube

6. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Gotcha! Thanks Apis. I suspected that second hole had something inside, but I didn't know what it was.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

In hive feeders have always been notorious for drowning bees the plastic ones are tapered for ease of removing from the mold during manufacturing so the stick to be narrow enough to work in the bottom was to narrow when the feeder was filled and the stick floating on top. the ones made with 1/8" hardboard sides Masonite the sides would warp causing the stick to hang up and the bees going over the ends of the stick to get to the syrup. they had to be checked for leaks and resealed if needed every year of you risked loosing all the syrup out the bottom with a sticky bottom board and ground around to attract ants and risk starting robbing.
    Although some of the dead bees in the bottom of the in hive feeder that we assumed drowned in the syrup and died in the hive and got dumped there by bees house cleaning. I don't know if it is the shape of the feeder or that the opening is at the top but bees will clean bees and debris out of the hive and off the bottom board but they seem to ignore dead bees and debris in the feeders.