Final things I need to know about backyard beekeeping

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Apr 29, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I've learned that neighbors you have a great relationship can be told what I am doing. The others, it's like "oops" sorry. Here is a jar of honey. All of this is in a nutshell ok. Place is sunny location or place that will good light most of the day. I've learned that when mowing wear a bee veil and don't blow grass or exhaust at the hive. Give them ten feet when in the back yard.

now, before my bees come this week is there anything in my yard I should do differently? Fertilizer on lawn? Garden issues, etc.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Be sure your dog has an open run, and a place to hide.""back door open?"" He will inspect the hive, leave at the speed of light, and not go back. One lesson is enough.

UNLESS, he is one of a few who will stand around and catch bees in flight, just to prove he can. :D

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I use a couple of bird bath's to provide a water supply for my hives at the house. They are placed a couple of yards out in front of the hives with sticks layed in them so the bee's have easy access.

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Water. I am still experimenting, but a small poultry waterer from Tractor Suppy seems to be working well. Neighbors on each side have those small vinyl pools :eek: and I really don't want to have that conversation with them.

My boxes are painted green; not trying to hide anything, but I don't rub it in folk's faces, either. I really don't tell the neighbors much, they would just feed off my anxiety and start "seeing" bees everywhere, including bumbles, carpenders... I don't have to tell any kids to "get off my lawn" though.

Resist the urge to open the cover "just to take a peek" everyday because they are so handy.

I have pretty much quit using Sevin in the garden, but still treat the lawn for fleas and ticks.

5. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Congrats on becoming a honey bee parent (soon)... It will be a very happy moment! For us, it was like getting a new baby, Oh look they are flying! - Oh look they are on the clover flower! I know it sound silly, but for real it is the coolest thing! And we never get tired of seeing them work or follow us about the yard or come to the sliding door or shop to check on things.
    As for mowing, Steve cautiously edged close the first few times, because they do get used to the low idle after a couple of weeks. The weed trimmer was a different story they chased him two weeks in a row (Very funny! I had a front row seat to the show from the Zen Garden! :rolling: He only was stung once here, they are mostly into terrorizing.) Now he mows very close (vents the chute away) and weed trims on an idle, and they are used to the weekly routine. They do land on him (run into him) through their flight path. (If we changed mowers and or trimmer they may object again)
    As for water, they do go to pools, but ours prefer the Zen garden which we also enjoy adding flowers, water features and fountains..They love the Zen Garden and trickling fountain. We cut little foam "lily pads" and float them in the gold fish pond.
    It is like a honey bee Disneyland, really.
    And location of the hive stand I have a windbreak with a natural treeline to the northwest, so they get morning and afternoon sun, their entrances are aimed away from the most common storm direction. And they have a good unobstructed 12 feet to reach their flying height of 6 feet..we walk around their flight path "pie" and tell friends and family to walk around as well. If we don't remember to walk around we know it :wink: Congrats, on your new special delivery! This bee stuff is amazing!
    001 drink fountain.jpg 018 P1010058.jpg 019.jpg

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I did find my grandfathers old cricket water thing a bob. It's similar to a chick waterer but has a quart mason jar to hold water and the bottom is plastic with sponge (new sponge) so they can land on it and still sip from the sponge.

7. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

crazy8days said:
    "before my bees come this week is there anything in my yard I should do differently? Fertilizer on lawn? Garden issues, etc. "

wow, SEVIN?!?! FIRST, GET RID OF THE SEVIN and STOP using it. READ THE LABEL on it, kills fleas and ticks, KILLS HONEY BEES, you will poison them with this stuff, and you won't have any honey bees for you or your neighbor's to be concerned about....

Carbaryl kills both targeted (e.g. malaria-carrying mosquitos) and beneficial insects (e.g. honeybees), as well as crustaceans.

jacobs said:
    "You can check out application instructions and toxicity to non-targets for your other pesticides at this site--"

PESTICIDES?
    maybe i misunderstood, but what are you thinking if you are using any pesticide?
    please don't tell me you are using pesticides of any kind to treat your lawn and gardens, and synthetic lawn fertilizers will do the same.

9. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

For many years I used to pull a John Deere sprayer around spraying my yard for weeds and dandelions. Not anymore. Haven't sprayed in a couple of years since the girls love the dandelions in my yard. I've also noticed I now have clover popping up in several areas now and they really love that!

10. letitbee

letitbee New Member

I have read some good info about Monsanto's Round-up and how it messes up the bees DNA and is being considered a cause of bee de-population. I don't use any chemicals in my yard or garden whatsoever as I don't want that stuff in my food or around my animals. My chickens and bees fight over the dandelions in my yard. I don't believe in using chemical warfare on Gods creations.:wink:

11. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

It would be good to read that article if you can find it. I am absolutely convinced the commercial herbicide and fertilizer sprayed in our area to kill the rye a month ago totally messed up my bees, temperament and behavior for a while and some even died from the inebriation. I have not seen that behavior since and had never seen that behavior at all last year (got the honey bees in mid May last year). Totally convinced that "okay list" chemical is bad news.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

lol! :goodpost:

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

Pesticides and Sevin

Some great posts and discussion here on an older thread on organic methods without the use of pesticides and insecticides:

CONCERNED ABOUT PESTICIDES

this thread started currently about "final things i need to know about backyard beekeeping", and the thread posted above might help new keeps decide about the use of chemicals for your lawns and gardens, and the use of SEVIN, as iddee described, it is the "scourge of the earth." and "Sevin dust will kill your whole hive. The bees carry it back to the hive and everything dies, even the next colony of bees you install."

there are a number of other older threads on this subject, just do a search PESTICIDES, and you will find them.

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Place them where there's room for expansion. Two is just a start. Once you're hooked it'll be more.:yahoo:
    Also, check to see that there aren't any ants nests too close to the spot you choose.

15. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I replaced Roundup with diluted household bleach many years ago with good results. As I said, we have phased out Sevin over the last couple years... but Iddee's words are still sobering. I'll have to think about the flea and tick issue; the dogs and cats in the house outnumber the people and I could well be not only outvoted, but censured.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, as we in tight neighborhoods can't control our neighbors, is there anything we can do to mitigate our bees' consumption of this stuff?