Finally, got another call...trap out

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by tmrschessie, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

I was beginning to think I was done for the year. Then the phone rang and a lady said she had bees in her back yard tree....

[​IMG]

so the next morning I got a 4 foot step ladder and a box of old comb i had and set it up.....

[​IMG]

Had to put plastic around before I stapled the screen down due to the location of the main exit hole. I put plastic in a secondary hole and screen over it.
    There were bees coming out of the cone before I finished stapling it. A few field bees full of pollen were returning before I left. Put a little lemon oil on the landing area and the small rag inside to help coax them in. Will be day three today and will go into town and see how it is going. This is my first trap out, I know it is late in the year but they were going to spray them if I did not catch them. Tom

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Would be better if the entrance of the hive was next to the old entrance in the tree.

Did you put a frame of eggs in the bait hive?

You are right about it being late in the year. I would have opted to use a weak hive if you had one.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

3. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Got a weak hive and may just combine them, depending how this goes. Did not have a frame of eggs to devote to this...so just trying to salvage them vice letting them get sprayed. Thanks for the tips George. Also the plastic coming down from the hole had bees walking down while I was putting it up. So just left it as a ladder of sorts...LOL Tom

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Combining is unnecessary if you will just use the weak hive in the beginning. They will also take up with a queen right hive much quicker.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I had never thought of doing that Iddee...Good tip!

6. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Well they found a way around everything...decided with the home owners agreement, that I will do this removal in the spring when the bees have a better chance of survival on my place. The bees apparently got used to the cone and were not overly impressed with me removing it...LOL Just thought I would give you all an update Tom