Finally got back into the bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I've been sick for weeks now with a head and chest cold that have just sapped my energy so that I haven't been able to get back into the bees until just today. I expected to find lots of dead outs from robbing but was surprised to find all hives were healthy and strong. I'm beginning to think these girls can do a better job managing themselves than I can do managing them. LOL I didn't have to do much of anything to/with them, so I just refilled the feeders and cut back the weeds which by now had grown up to the point that they were completely covering some of the hives. One hive got nasty when I pulled the weeds from around it and popped me 4 or 5 times through the pants. But then when I popped the top they didn't seem hot at all... so I dunno why pulling weeds bothered them so much.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to hear you are on the mend!!

Those gals were just saying hello.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Messing around the entrance is often enough to set the guard bees into action.
    I have one hive that built up from a spring swarm right next to a path that I walk along several times a day. I've been slowly moving them to a more convenient spot by changing their position by a few feet from time to time, but there's a way to go yet. I haven't gotten a single sting from them yet, just walking calmly past their entrance (about 1 foot away). A few coming home have bumped into me, but since I don't stop. they just seem to take it in their stride and ignore me.
    Your bees are the kind that tend to humble us beeks who think that the bees couldn't manage without us.
    Stay well and enjoy the fruits of their labors.