Finally got back out into the bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I finally got back out into the bees today. I liked what I saw. Last year's boomer still has a little over 100lbs of honey in it :yahoo: ... the others are all looking healthy and only one was on the light side with only half a medium of honey left. I did a mountaincamp on that one with 30lbs of sugar and realized that I should have borrowed a frame from the boomer hive after I left but I can do that later if needed... I think they'll be fine with that much in the mountaincamp. Took my first sting of the year... which from now on I will start referring to the mistakes I make that lead to stings as maintaining my immunity to stings.. :lol:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I did not go into my hives today, but checked on them, all were flying a little with one just getting it like a flow was on.

Even the little five frame nuc is still making it, I have two shallow frames of honey I plan on giving them.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

I looked at my hives this morning before I walked down into town for breakfast, but there wasn't much going on cause it was 5 degrees out. :shock: Not much pollen coming in... :lol:

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Is that what you usually put on them this time of year? How much is still there in spring? How much do you throw away? Or do you make syrup w/ it? You must use a shallow or medium super as a feeder rim?

30 lbs seems like alot to me. When I feed sugar, I usually only put on 5 lbs. That seems to keep them alive for a month or more.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I usually only do 10 or 20 lbs. mountaincamped... but I'm usually not doing it to feed them but rather to regulate humidity within the hive. I typically have some left over... I wasn't sure if 30 was going to be too much , but if it is I can just turn the leftover into syrup in the spring to give them a good start at building up for the flow.

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

50* here today but not expected to last.Ladies out doing their thing and a few working the 2-1 I put on last week. Jim

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

47F yesterday,some of the bees were flying and like G3, i had two hives that looked like a flow was on :confused: . The last two times i checked my hives six of them did not have any activity, including yesterday. I don't open the lid on my hives if the temp. is under 55F,i have top entrances on all my hives and a rock or brick on the lid, well i pecked on the sides of the hives and didn't hear nothing or see any bees. That worried me so i picked the brick up and dropped it on the lid,well they were home and ready for battle, i checked all of the six that way and when i left there must of been a hundred bees around the top entrance of each hive and i never took a hit. :thumbsup: Jack

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

man Jack that's a bit heavy handed hittin' those poor girls with a brick don't ya' think? it did seem to get their attention.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A fella just has to know when to cut and run for the hills, especially when there is a bunch of mad women.

10. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Yesterday it was about 45, windy with little sun.
    I pull the cover and insulation, looked thru the cover board hole and saw 15-20 bees on the frame tops.

LIFE in the "tornado hive", that's the hive, which is a emergency combine of the remains of 5 hives.

Wonder they didn't kill each other off, may be being soaking wet had something to do with it ???

The removable bottom board was covered with honey, and I'd guess it looked like about a quart of honey had drained out on to the shingles under the hive.

Wish this freezing would let up, They just may make it.
    Going to make up a few subs. to give them next warm spell.

Couple of days ago neighbor brought back 17 frames and some hive boards, he found in his pasture.

Murrell

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Murrell I am glad to hear you did not loose all of your hives in the storm, how are things going with the house?

12. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Right now we're waiting on insurance, The open wall and roof are all tarped and windows covered with plastic and foam.
    By closing off 3 rooms we're doing Ok.

We have so much minor damage in addition, the Insurance man said it would have been easier on him if he could just write it off !00%

Grandmaw Good Cook is happy as she is going to get a new kitchen !

Murrell

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The insurance companies are really slow to get moving to pay out but they sure do waant their money in a hurry.

Hope Grandmaw Good Cook gets her a nice kitchen set up. Keep warm!

14. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Murrell,
    Hope you get your money soon. You seem to be very even tempered about the whole thing. I guess it's that kind of attitude the just gets beekeepers through.

Bens-Bees,
    I too want to collect a list of mistakes that led me to get stung. Sometimes, it's pretty dumb what I do!