Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to go back this morning, can't do bees before I will have crew or kids here lest people get stung. So waited til yesterday evening to tackle the most bearding hive. And check on the new swarm. (probably an abscond from my neighbor's house)

the large swarm in my blue nuc (so large I had to stick a medium box on top of the inner cover to get a lid on it) is doing fine. I finally got the inner cover out from between their boxes this evening, so they can ventilate the hive better, and gave them another box of comb as they are filling up. Saw worker brood and drone brood, didn't check for eggs, but assuming queen right.

When I get into the really big hive I am not sure whether they will have a queen, and I might have to do a merger. The big hive's numbers aren't up, in spite of giving them 9 frames of brood from my cutout at my neighbors. Which spells may not a queen or she has quit laying. looks like I have a queen right candidate to correct a queenless hive if I have one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
the little swarm that took up just one deep nuc is looking like a decent number of bees but I didn't do a full inspection as they've only been here a couple of weeks, and it was getting dark. I did give them a medium box of comb from my freezer, one of those frames had pollen and another had a little honey.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my big hive next door smells the honey and gets ready to rob them, I poppoed off the box covering their feed jar, dished them up a paperplate full of honey comb in the "honey feeding" box underneath, and put their vented top on with a jar lid and a rock over it. I don't think they will be wandering far to rob, they'll be cleaning up that honey and watching their front door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

biggest hive with the hottest bees, potentially queenless is waiting for me. As is the one I gave the honey and comb on a paper plate last night. Gotta go.

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went back in, moved the bees from the now 3 box nuc into a deep and a medium 10 frame, they now fit in their hive, which was really nice when it rained this evening.

Added a 10 frame box to my beeweaver large hive, they had brood and honey combo frames in the top box, now they have honey storage.

Opened my water sprinkler box bees from last year, also a large hive, and a hot one. They weren't too bad, numbers had dropped til I gave them 9 frames of brood from my cutout at the neighbors. New queen has a beautiful laying pattern. that or the clipped wing queen from last year is still ruling the hive. I didn't check, I just confirmed nice brood, and that the box that the cutout brood hatched from will give them honeyspace. A lot of that brood is capped and close to hatch, no queen cells that I saw. Closed them up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts