Finally got my bees!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Picked up my 2 nucs tonight. The state bee inspector was very impressed with the with the amount of bees in each nuc and the overall conditions.
    The wife took one sting for the team!
    They told me don't use an entrance reducer as once daybreak hits they're gonna want to get out and go to work.
    There were 5 full frames and I added my 3 empty frames. They told me I'll need to add a box in a couple days.

I thought I was ready for this with all the preparing I did but still felt a little overwhelmed. Got the bees settled and fed tho'. I could only imagine how overwhelmed I would have felt if I didn't prepare.
    Thanks for all the help so far. I'll post pictures when the swelling goes down....j/k....tomorrow when it's light out lol.

Attached Files:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good luck and I hope you enjoy the adventure.

3. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Wow, those are pretty nice hives.

Yeah, I remember feeling overwhelmed that first year we had the bees. So many questions. I wish I had signed up with this forum then. There are lots of helpful folks here.

Have a good trip!!!

4. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

If you look at the pictures you see lots of bees flying around. This scenario has happened once or twice more since the pic was taken. Today it's not happening. There are lots of bees going and coming back with filled pollen baskets (bright yellow legs).

My question is what is going on when there seems to be thousands of bees buzzing circles around the hive? I thought I would see that every warm day. If I see it happen again I'll make a note of the time of day to compare.

Ed

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's called orientation flights. It happens when you move them and they have to learn the new neighborhood. It also happens when young bees take their first flights. They are memorizing the area.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Iddee is right on the mark.
    If it's a "bobbing and weaving, figure 8 kinda lazy flight", like Iddee says, orientation flights. It's a good sign. With my hives I have noticed that it seems to occur regularly at around the same time of day, and only for a certain time frame.
    Now if they are "zig zag, darting in and out kinda flights" it would be more likely robbing, not so good.

7. Omie

Omie New Member

What a pretty hive! Have fun with your wonderful new bees!

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

We inspected the hives today 9 days after getting them as nucs.
    I have been noticing over the past week that one hive seems to always have more activity so we started with that hive.

I'll post again with the slower hive

Attached Files:

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

WOW!
    Now that is a nice set of brood frames (last 2 pics).
    They don't get much better than that, wall to wall brood and few missed cells, VERY NICE! :mrgreen:

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Now I'll post pics of the slower hive. I think what I'm seeing is 1 or 2 frames of capped brood and lots of open cells with a clear liquid in the bottom. I also 5 or so queen cells in the upper part of the frames. 1 of the cells seemed open at the bottom.
    Any thoughts? Is she a poor queen and they've reared a new one? Did they lose their queen? I think I see capped brood yes?

Attached Files:

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, they have superceded. The new queen should be laying in about 2weeks. The clear liquid in the bottom of the cells is nectar. It is best to just let them do what they wantand the hive should be strong again in about 5weeks.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Looks like those cells are getting thin on the bottoms, queens are about to emerge. That was some queen, nice pattern and all.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nice looking brood patterns in both hives.

Yep supercedure looks like to me.

14. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

It's 2 different hives. The last post was from the mean hive as we call it with less activity.
    Since we still see capped brood does that mean that the old queen is still laying some and will be executed when the new queen is mated? If we're waiting for the new queen to mate and start laying do we run the risk of laying workers? We saw no sign of that tonight but just wondering.

The top medium of the really active hive is just about all drawn out with comb. Should I add the 3rd box before I leave for vacation (end of the week)?

Thanks,
    Ed

Attached Files:

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The reason they were mean is they were queenless. It takes 21 days from the time the egg was laid until the worker hatches out. The queen could have been gone for between 21 and 17 days. It takes 16 days from the time the egg was laid until a queen emerges.

If you have a new queen emerging in the hive then you will not have a laying worker problem, her pheromones will prevent that.

Are you seeing any eggs or uncapped larva?

16. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

We didn't see any eggs or uncapped larvae. Just capped brood, a few drones mixed in, workers, and open cells filled with nectar. There were some frames very heavy with capped honey on the ouside frames. It was an amber color.

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Tells me there has not been a laying queen in the hive for at least 9 to 10 days since they will cap the cell on day 9 to 10.

When you see a hatch queen cell it will be about 18 more days before you will see eggs and maybe larva.

18. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Should I wait it out or get a mated queen?

Should I give that hive a frame of capped brood to keep them busy until there own queen is laying? The good hive is boiling over with brood frames.

NExt time I open the hives I'm going to write down all that I want to accomplish. I'm half tempted to open them again to answer so many questions I now have! lol Dang this is addictive!

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would just wait it out.

The strong hive, do they have room to expand in, have you added honey supers for a honey crop

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I have a deep hive body then a medium on top which they've drawn 7 of 8 frames into comb. I'm told they need 1 deep and 2 mediums in Jersey so should I add the 3rd box now before I head to Nashville later this week?