Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE: Finally have time off to start a trap out

2012-05-22_10-55-42_263.jpg 2012-05-22_10-55-53_61.jpg 2012-05-22_10-56-19_84.jpg
2012-05-22_12-19-43_586.jpg 2012-05-22_12-43-45_829.jpg 2012-05-22_12-43-56_669.jpg 2012-05-22_12-44-05_62.jpg 2012-05-22_20-07-31_457.jpg
Immediately after setting the box, the area was filled with foragers.
A few minutes passed and they started gathering on the posts, and the wall.
I left to let them settle, four hours later, they were all in the box and covering the frames, also using the tunnel again.

Notice that I set the tunnel on the rear side of the box, so as to point the entrance away from the basement door and patio. I'll have to remove a couple of frames to insert the cone.

Any ideas on the best route to follow from here?

thanks, enjoy the pics. Hopefully more from 4 other calls to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
This looks like one of those trap-outs designed to get the queen to come out and lay in those frames? Once the lid is on are the bees using the "new" entrance to the nuc box? Keep us posted. There was another member 2kooldad, posting using this very same method. He put a lot of effort into it only to have it vandalized. It would be very interesting to se if this system works.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is Perry. I built it a little different with the side entrance.
I pulled a frame out of one of my hives that had a few eggs and prob day old larvae, very, very tiny... some capped and nectar and honey, the other four frames are old drawn comb with pollen stores.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, these have to be a great strain.... they've been in this very spot going on nine years now. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG!!!
I finally get the box set up... had a trip out of town, then back, now the weather won't cooperate to start taking bees. Wet, chilly, windy and damp... The box has been in place now for a week. I couldn't even check the eggs and larvae yet...

This is killin' me :frustrated:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Definitely let us know how it goes, as I have been curious about the Hogan Swarm Harvester idea myself. I thought it was good, but then Iddee said he'd never heard of anyone but Hogan actually do it successfully, which kind of bummed me out. I was interested if, instead of an actual frame of brood that would entice the queen out, a brood pheromone pad would do the trick instead. I have some thast I got from Kelly's, I believe, and they are in the freezer. Although I guess if you give them the eggs and larvae and the queen doesn't come out, they would just raise a new queen from those eggs, right? Then you could leave the queen and whoever stayed with her to build back up and just get starts from them a couple times a year like Hogan used to. At least, you could do that with a tree that you found, maybe you couldn't do that if a homeowner wanted the bees out.....

But yeah, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I am hoping it will become the way to trap. I don't know if folks aren't following directions, or the directions are not clear, but as said before, I haven't seen a lot of positive posts about it. I'm sure there is a way to do it, and Cleo may have found it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think the trick might be to reorient the bees every time you make a change. One you put the tunnel on the tree/house give them a day to use the new entrance then after putting the box on make sure a branch is in the way to get them to reorient again.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Looks like it is working, i bet the five frames are full and might even have some comb hanging down from the bottom of the inner cover so be careful when you open it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's gonna be near 90 today. Not looking forward to gathering these guys today. They're gonna be pissed being trapped in the box until I get them to the yard. :sad:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Unless you can cover them with a screen top for transport, you might want to consider postponing the move until it cools off tonight (or during the following week).

·
Registered
429 Posts
Have you checked for eggs in the trap? Mine is just getting full of honey, had to super it earlier this week because it was so full of bees.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What a 'helter skelter' time.
First off;
G2Farms --- had four rows of fresh comb built in the empty space :sad:
PTurley --- I used a screen bottom, hope that's enough, they're parked in the shade now.
DLMK --- When I set the trap I used 1 frame with eggs and tiny larvae, all five frames today had capped brood scattered throughout along with honey/nectar/pollen. The capped brood appeared to be mostly drone brood. :???:

DSCF0190.JPG
This is what we found when we showed up, 85F.

DSCF0193.JPG
Setting up a cooler to catch the bees in, should have brought my vac. Lesson learned!!!

DSCF0194.JPG
Lifting the top, dropped some in the cooler at the same time, this where it all goes haywire, daughter gets stung...

DSCF0197.JPG
With the frames removed...

Now for the story,
Once the bees hit the cooler, mayhem ensues... I have to rescue the girl, bees in her hair and harrassing her, she gets stung and heads to the truck.
I go back and lift the inner cover, four rows a beautiful filled comb hanging in the space. I place this on an empty box, all seems to be calming down a bit.
I start pulling frames, see capped drone but no queen, I 'attempt to knock the 8lbs of bees off the front of the box into the cooler, I get a few shut the cooler and start to reassemble the trap.
The daughter comes back around so I show her the drawn comb on the cover, I place between two chair arms so I can put the second box on the first and dump the cooler. This is where the crap hits the fan.
At this time the bees have the white suit burned into their radar.
I walked in the woods a bit to let them cool down, no matter, I appear, I'm covered with bees.
I finally give in and go back and finish up, I hear a noise, look over, the inner cover had fallen off the chairs, comb, bees and nectar are all over the place, glad the kids weren't within earshot.
I give up on the comb, put it all in a box and leave it for robbing.
I scoop up what i can off the ground, come to the realization that isn't a good time.
Close up, pack up, call it a day until night time.
I had to walk down the street and into the woods to unsuit becausethe bees were so pissy.
I'll head back over to picj up the box of comb and see if they're calmed down at all

Sorry for the limited pics... after the photographer got stung, I was on my own.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
My guess is that this would mean the queen never exited the original hive and now all the bees in your trap-out are queenless and therefore thoroughly pissed-off at the world...

I'd change gears to standard trap-out and chalk one up in the column for IDDEE's trap-out process.

Get a frame of eggs into the box ASAP!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems she came out, all frames have capped brood. I just put one in it.
I also have two queens being delivered tomorrow morning, I'm not messing with these guys until in the early morning, I'll put them in the bee yard. I must have transported a bunch home that were hanging on to the side of the boxes. They're flying all around the truck right now.
I'll give the trap some time and introduce another 'FULL' frame of brood on the next trip.
Looks like I'll be taking several starts out of this wall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts