finally hit the mark

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

finally hit 30 hive mark, well hit 32 by mistake, moved a nuc into a full deep and it was packed that was my 30th hive but when I checked 2 of my 4 deep hives I found queens above and bellow the excluders again so I split the 2 hives, so I jumped from 29 to 32 in 1 day (think I would have liked 2 hives and 4 deeps of honey better) I am doing away with all upper entrances and thinking Im going to build those all weather inner covers for venting the hives, im not liking having more hives then planned when it should be honey:lol:

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Sounds like a Farmers Market man in the making.:lol: Jack

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I hit #30 with the high cut-out we just did. :grin:
    Two days ago I had to pinch a drone layer and do a combine, so back to 29! :sad:

I am still in awe at how fast you hit 30 Zookeep. It took me years to work up to it and you've accomplished it in a fraction of the time. Well done! :thumbsup:

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Excellent! That many hives has the possibility of keeping you quite busy.

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

Have you thought about selling nucs?

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I will be Omie I already have a few customers for the early spring, since Im about a year ahead of my original schedule I have a question, any1 tell me whats the average amount of honey I could expect from 30 hives per year?

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Start buying drums Zookeep! :wink: :lol:

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

zookeep,
    :yahoo:
    sometimes we have more bees than honey, but more bees means honey down the road.

about the honey question from 30 hives....hard question to answer, all the variables, location of the hives and your state, weather, blooms, strength of hive etc. and if they fill all the frames. in a good year, and on average, up here i can get anywhere between 2 and 6 supers from my hives. two supers fill a 5 gallon pail, weighing about 60 pounds (i use 8 frame medium supers). one of my best years was about 900 pds. i had 30 supers on hand at that time, i think i was at 7 or 8 hives then working on building up (but not to 30 LOL!), and ran out. i thought i was going to have to start putting foundation on, (or pull the boxes and return, i only extract in the fall). as it turned out the flow slowed down by the time they needed to come off.

if you can get your girls to fill a super on each of those 30 hives, now you would have some honey!!!
    i'd be dancing and sayingto my girls, SHOW ME THE HONEY! :lol:

9. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

congrats on the big three oh. I was told that up here an average hive in and average year produces 100 lbs surplus. I hope you have a motorized extractor, or you'd better start working out now :)

10. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Zoo,
    Local beek (my quasi-mentor) has 30 colonies and he says a slow year for him is 1500-2000 lb of surplus here in the Utah desert. But let me just say that I'm in awe with what you've been able to do. You are the man!...I think...I hope.:roll:

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ya Im starting to think Ive created a monster, the extractor I bought this year is already too small and Im starting to think 9 inch boxes for honey supers was not 1 of my better moves, half the hives now are filling and capping deeps some have 2 on, I get the strong feeling that by this time next year Im going to be totally overwhelmed, I figure staying at 30 hives Im going to be 60 boxes short for spring and thats only figuring 4 boxes per hive (oman I have a headache) whats real funny is I remember this time last year thinking to myself I hope next year I have a little honey from the hives to make some wine:rolling:

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well it sound to me zookeep that you have enough deeps for 60 hives and I do expect to see you there before long :wink: .

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

beekeeper in the summer, carpenter in the winter.
    Either way, keep building. :wink:

14. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

your scaring me Tec:shock: and Ef I wish it was that way I have to do both all year round here we dont get a winter to speak of, but I got to say I love beekeeping even with all the left turns the girls keep tossing my way:grin:

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

forgot to post the queen move pics, this the 2nd queen I just moved her alone to the last nuc I was setting up to raise a new queen in,they started trying to feed her right away but going to give it a day before I release her, the other queen I just took her and 3 frames and put in another nuc, both old hives they came out of I will have to check all the upper supers for cells in 4 days

Attached Files:

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That first picture shows her getting a nice orderly welcome--just the way it should be. :thumbsup:

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a zookeep snip...
    even with all the left turns the girls keep tossing my way

tecumseh...
    and that is what keeps us all on our toes and paying attention.

another zookeep snip...
    your scaring me Tec

tecumseh...
    you have evidently underestimated the power of this addiction :eek: ?

18. jim314

jim314 New Member

That's awesome! I'd be feeling pretty overwhelmed.:)