Beekeeping Forums banner

Finally moving my hives (well, half anyway)

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  bee stung 
#1 ·
:yahoo: Finally, after what seems like forever, I am going to be moving half of my hives so they will be located within 10 minutes of where I live. I have several yards available (after much searching) and have prepared 2 of them for the move tonight.
A friend I have met on the forum, Adam Foster Collins, has graciously offered to drive the hour from Halifax to here, then ride the 1 + hour to my bees in Lunenburg, then pick them up and 1 + hour back here, unload into the 2 yards and then he has a 1 hour trip back to Halifax! :shock: He will be lucky to make it home by midnite!
Bee folk, truly one of a kind people! :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Good luck Perry! Glad you can get your ladies closer to home. I don't think I could stand if my hives were that far away from me. I cried when we had to move them just 7 miles away, once the bears found them in my yard.

We had kept one hive at our "bee sitters" yard even we moved away from the bears and just moved that back over this spring and repopulated it with a split (they had absconded some time early this year)...and I just felt so good that day, felt like all my ladies were finally back home.

#11 ·
Wow, not many people would come through like that for someone they only know online.
You would be amazed at the support one can get from the folks here and the beekeeping community in general. I have met (personaly) 2 members here, afss (Scott)and Adam. Scott and I ended up doing a winter trip to pick up some bee gear and had a riot doing it.

http://www.beekeepingforums.com/threads/3262-Road-Trip!?highlight=road+trip

Actually, the 3 of us all met in Halifax a few months ago just to sit in a pub and yak. from the left, Adam, Scott, and myself.

Anways, I want to thank Adam for coming through and helping me out. :thumbsup: We talked up a storm, loaded up 7 hives and brought them back with virtually no problems. Well maybe one, I got stung in the neck just under my chin. Poor girl got tangled up in my beard and couldn't find her way out. I would take a picture but you couldn't see anything anyways :lol:.
Adam is into TBH's and really knows his stuff. He is going to be expanding into 8 frame Langs as well. In our conversation last night it turns out his family was thinking last year of moving to a community within 10 minutes of mine. Oh, what might have been! :lol:

#12 ·
It was not a problem for me at all.

It's funny, it sounds like work at first glance, but that's only if you think about the driving, loading and unloading.

But it's BEES, man! That changes everything.

I don't know about the rest of you, but there aren't many people in my day-to-day life who can really carry on a real discussion about bees with anywhere near the passion and interest that I can. Perry is every ounce as hooked as I am, and even better - much more experienced than I am as well. So what a great opportunity to have a few focused hours of off-line discussion (for a change) on the subject I can never seem to get enough of.

Beyond that, Perry is one of the warmest people I've met in years. I think that's plain to see, even through the internet.

If you look at it that way, it really isn't a tall order to go down and move a few hives. Heck, I wish more of you people lived an hour away! I'd help you too!

One thing we did talk about last night, and that is how lucky we are to live in a time where we have access to internet forums like this one. My father and grandfather never had resources like this, and it makes a big difference when it comes to learning about a subject you love. And you may not share physical space, but you do have meaningful exchanges. All these typed little threads can really broaden our understanding of the bees.

Adam

#17 ·
Ha! Adam, your absolutely right about the support of the community on the net we would most likely not have otherwise. I too have thought this forum is the only place I can chat about my bees with folks who are just as passionate about them as I am. I don't always have the time to connect with local keep organizations...

#19 ·
adam said:
"I don't know about the rest of you, but there aren't many people in my day-to-day life who can really carry on a real discussion about bees with anywhere near the passion and interest that I can."......"how lucky we are to live in a time where we have access to internet forums like this one. My father and grandfather never had resources like this, and it makes a big difference when it comes to learning about a subject you love. And you may not share physical space, but you do have meaningful exchanges. All these typed little threads can really broaden our understanding of the bees."
:drinks:

and......:amen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.