Finally... My 1st Batch of Mead started!

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by DonMcJr, Aug 24, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well I started my 1st Batch!

Acerglyn Mead - 13 lbs of my own Honey from my Hives and 1 Pint of my own Maple Syrup!

Must OG: 1.110

5 Gallon Batch.

Here's some Photo's...

Getting Ready...

[​IMG]

The Must

[​IMG]

Must and Water and Yeast

[​IMG]

Must OG @ 83.6 F

[​IMG]

Waiting for Fermenting to start!

[​IMG]

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Cheers Don I'll drink to that.
    Some of those tools I see in the picture look like maple syrup tools.

3. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

You are an inspiration. I have been wanting to try this and now you have given me the motivation to give it a try.

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Yes some are Maple Syrup Tools!

Here's a short Video I made while making it... If you want to make mead get a copy of Ken Schram's " The Complete Meadmaker" search it online and buy it well worth it!

[video=youtube_share;9UpuEC873FM]http://youtu.be/9UpuEC873FM[/video]

5. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I Musta done something right!

At 4.5 Hours it has started to Ferment!

[video=youtube_share;CsW8QpgzBNY]http://youtu.be/CsW8QpgzBNY[/video]

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Bubbling at 16 seconds now...5.5 hours in!

7. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

7.5 Hours and bubbling about every 8 seconds!

I'll quit watching it so much now lol and take one last video tomorrow went I wake up!

[video=youtube;ug3cdWQqZ6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug3cdWQqZ6M&feature=share&list=UUINvfvC8aAEe8LfA-IsrYyw[/video]

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Don, keep the barrel next to your bed at night. The bubbling should help you fall asleep (like the proverbial "counting sheep") and inspire you to have sweet dreams.
    My mead is bubbling a lot slower than yours, but it doesn't have maple syrup. Yours sounds like it's going to be a real winner.:drinks:

9. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

We'll see! It's in the basement I haven't check it today yet...darn midnight shift sometimes eats away your weekends...

10. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

So is this your 1st time efmesch? If not do you aerate it for the 1st 3 days? I keep getting and reading mixed answers to that...

11. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks for sharing Don! Are you all mended up now?

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I've been making mead for about 25 years--on and off. I can't keep up with the amounts I could produce. And considering that I also make wine and am not really much of a drinker, the quantities pile up. I think I give away much more than I use at home.
    As to aeration, I generally don't but I've become a bit casual about the way I make it. Like a housewife who puts in a dash of this, a sprinkle of that and tablespoon or so of the other ingredients, I have stopped carefully mixing the ingredients and measuring the specific gravity of my "must". One of the nice things about making mead is that honey somehow doesn't manage to go off. Just to show you how casual I am, I kept the washings of my spring honey in a semi-closed barrel (closed loosely but not air-locked) until I added the washings of my summer cappings. I was surprised when I opened the barrel and discovered that it had fermented during the waiting period (about 2-1/2 months). No spoilage at all, just a nice, mild alcohol smell. When the summer cappings honey was added I set it up to ferment and it started doing so noticeably but not rapidly after 2 days. Now after about 2 weeks, it's still slowly bubbling along. When I have a chance I'll take a taste and see where it's gotten. :mrgreen:

13. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Dave, thanks for asking...Numbness gone and pain is a lot better but still on a 5 lb restriction so it's slow going...

efmesch...so it's not rocket science basically!:cool:

I should be ok then I'll aerate it for a bit then leave it...

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The reason for aeration is so that the yeast will multiply. In the presence of Oxygen they thrive and build up their population. When they are in an oxygen deprived situation, their respiration becomes anaerobic and instead of completely decomposing the glucose that gives them energy (releasing CO2 and water) they produce CO2 and alcohol (ethanol).
    Though I've never had the problem with mead, the presence of Oxygen when there is already alcohol in the barrel presents the risk of letting the vinaigre (Acetobacter) bacteria go to work. In the absence of Oxygen the vinaigre bacteria can't do their dirty work (they can't live anaerobically). That's why it is so important to have an escape valve on the brewing mixture: The CO2 produced by the yeast can exit the container but oxygen can't enter, so the brew doesn't spoil.

15. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

ok so I aerated it the day I stared it, then yesterday and today...So I'm not gonna aerate it anymore...

That's my hypothesis from everything I've read and what you just said...and that's mostly because I HATE the smell of Vinigar...LOL!

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The smell, as bad as it may be, is nothing compared to its taste in a glass of mead or wine. Even tiny amounts are enough to ruin the pleasure you deserve after all your efforts.:frustrated:
    You did the corrrect thing--aerating before the brew starts to ferment. :thumbsup:

17. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well she's a bubbling every 2 seconds! The yeast is making Mead!!!:thumbsup: