Finally winding down.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, Sep 24, 2009.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Doing the pulling of honey supers & extracting has sure been a trial and costly this year. To start with I had eye surgery and the doctor placed me on a 20 pound weight limit. Not wanting to pull half supers I decided to wait till the restrictions were lifted.

Next the old Woodman honey pump nearly stoped pumping like 3 hours to pump 60 pounds of honey. So we bought a new gear pump nearly $500.00 after shipping and all that. Removed the Woodman pump seen I had to replum from 1 1/2 plumbing to 1 inch stuff. Finished that up fliped the switch to pump out the extractor and the motor hummed and fliped the breaker. The new pump calls for a 3/4hp. motor which I though the Woodman pump motor was. Well it turned out to be only a 1/3 motor. Off shopping for a new motor got us a farly good deal on a 1hp motor. Motor pully 1 1/2" inch and the pump pully at 10 inches again breakers are popping. Found a 12 inch pully with a 3/4" bore made a bushing and welded it to get it down to 5/8 inch to fit the shaft on the pump. Now the pumps honey again even with the reduced speed and pipe size it is faster than the Wooodman ever was for us.

I have 72 frames to spin out yet and 7 boxes of 50% or less capped honey to do and we are finished with that part. Just skim off the floaties from the settleing tanks and run it thru the screen and dump in the bulk tank left.

:mrgreen: Al

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you have been a busy beek. It sure does suck when you have unexpected (or expected for that matter) equipment failure. seems like it is always right in the middle of everything going good. But on the other hand it is so nice when you get them fixed and you wonder "why in the heck did I wait so long to do this". Oh well all is well now.

How much honey did you end up with??

G3

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Haven't had time to sit down and tally up the box sizes and how many of each. Nor have we finished with the holding tanks so we can get a good weight estmate. I can guestmatethat it is off at least 40% from lastyear with more colonies.

:D Al

4. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Ah, the trials of life. Sounds like your beekeeping is getting the better of you. I hope not. Next year will be better.

5. Charles

Charles New Member

Wow talk about wearing yourself out before you even get started :dash1:

Glad you got it all worked out though!