Finding Bee land.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Nov 6, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Yesterday as I was headed out to see whats going on with my hives I passed a wholesale nursery that's a mile away. Decided to stop in and see if they are interested in having bees on their site. Besides, having several acres outdoors for potted plants to grow they also have many acres of alfalfa. I told them I just need a sunny site out of the way of others and access when I need to check. It's a win, win situation. The owner looked at me oddly. I had to explain about the bees and pollination. WTHeck! After talking for a bit I found out they know my brother and go to the same Church. so, I'm crossing my fingers they will call soon saying I can.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Pollination might not be a good thing for a nursery If they are selling blooming plants having an abundance of bees around to do the job of pollinating will result in the flowers dropping earlier. Unless they are growing the alfalfa for seed they won't care if it gets pollinated and honey bees are the wrong insect to do the job any way. Although it is nice to have bees in your garden and flower beds at home, to have the bees hanging out in a nursery where the public is talking the time to bend over and smell the flowers might be troublesome. I do realize you state they were wholesale so the public may not be a problem. Just a few thoughts, but it never hurts to ask.

3. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

I wonder if nurseries do not use a lot of pesticides.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm ask quite often about putting bees on farm land, some want them for pollination, but most are people that know me, that have a small acreage and some with larg farms. They usually approach me at the farmers market and we start talking bees, i tell them i'll keep them in mind, but i have six outyards now and that keeps me hopping. I also tell them that some of my club members probably would love to put there hives on them, but most say no i'd rather have someone i know,i just let it go at that. Jack

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I was wondering too about pesticides. Was going to ask them. It was amazing to drive by early fall and see thousands of mums all in bloom. I know in the area there are a couple of pastures of clover. Alfalfa and clover it cut for feed so might look up the owners of the clover. I just need more areas close to grow.

6. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

One more note: Most farmers cut alfalfa at the late-bud stage (right before it blooms) because that's when it has the highest nutrient value.