Fingers crossed, possibly getting an established hive.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by heinleinfan, May 24, 2012.

1. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Right, so, just saw an ad on craigslist from someone who says they have a hive with bees for sale.

!!

I'm waiting to hear from them by phone or email so I can get some details, the sense I get from the ad is that they are moving and can't take the hive with them. At the price they want for it, it would be a very good deal, especially if the hive and colony were in good shape.

Wish me luck!

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Good Luck! Craigslist is the way to go for swarms, cut outs and picking up hives/hardware.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Not trying to sound suspicious, but you don't know what you are getting till you see it.
    Make sure to look it over (on the inside too) before you buy. You don't want to buy a hive that might be diseased or heavily infested by mites. And if you do, such a situation should be taken into account on the price.

4. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Heh, that's what the luck is needed for, that it's a "good" hive!

5. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Good advice Ef, I have turned down some purchases for that very reason but you don't know til you go.

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

similarly, in Gainesville, Fl, there was a bee yard of about 20 hives---not a one is active, I have no idea what wiped the yard out, but am looking at the equipment to boost what I have if the price is right, again is it worth it if was foul brood that accounted for the bees destruction? I have been told you can still salvage equipment if you properly sanitize it but there is NEVER garuntee associated with stuff like this or your purchase. Good luck.
    Barry

7. pturley

pturley New Member

Heinleinfan: Ask if you can do a powdered sugar shake to check for mites or check for a sticky board. Also, find out when the last state inspector checked over the hive(s). If recently, you could have much more confidence in your potential purchase.

Barry42001: I would definately ask for the last inspection records for these as well. 20 hives as dead-outs (or a wiped out yard) is IMO far too many for comfort!
    If they were slimed out by SHB infestation, the bees might not accept the woodenware.
    If diseased, unless you can hot dip the boxes (and let 'em boil for a while), I wouldn't want them in my yards regardless!

It's just too easy to built them myself now that I have a good set-up going.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

may I assume barry that the dead hives are not really IN Gainesville, Florida???

there are enough migratory (yankees all... phetowee) in North Florida that 20 hives could well be just what wouldn't fit on the truck when them yankees (phetowee) went home.

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol well the dead outs are ACTUALLY in Gainesville, and can you count dead outs as migrants???Test your memory Tec, Located off Williston Road, on sw 64th st by a few blocks.
    Barry

10. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

RATS, someone got them before me. *sigh* I emailed and called at 9am after seeing the ad was posted at 6 the evening before, but apparently some keeper out there was looking faster than I was!

11. pturley

pturley New Member

Tec, do you really need to spit each time you talk 'bout yankees?

Please feel free to spit (***) just a bit each time you talk about migratory beekeepers however! The spread of diseases and pests has never been as fast as it is today due to this industry. It may be good for the farmers, good for the economy, but it's certainly bad for the bees to be sure!

(***= Just a bit as I guess you have to take the bad with the good.)

12. heinleinfan

heinleinfan New Member

Hey now, Tec...my husband's a yankee, don't you make me defend his honor! :wink:

13. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Hey..Hey...Hey.... dont go there .... lol

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

phetowee?????? :rolling: I would have thought that would have been spelled patooie????? :lol:

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Perry, phetowee includes chaw baccy juice. patooie is plain. :shock: :lol:

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :rolling::rotfl: