Finished bottling first batch of honey this year.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Bens-Bees, May 28, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

My phone fell silent for swarm calls, so I took the opportunity to extract and bottle my first batch of honey this year... my gosh is this stuff ever light and clear... and man o man does it ever taste good. It's got a light citrus taste to it, which I have to assume came from my lemon tree blooming, even though it didn't have very many blooms on it, but the taste is very noticable in the honey, and man it makes it so good. All in all I got just over a gallon from this hive, and this is all it will produce for me to extract this year (their population is about to crash due to supercedure and the new queen hasn't started laying yet, but should soon, but meanwhile the population is growing old). I've got some others that are sitting on a huge bit of land that was just seeded with purple clover earlier this year and it's all just about to bloom... that'll be a good bit of honey.

Anyhow, after bottling it I think I can probably get around $75 for all of it (not bad for a single gallon of honey, eh?). minus holding back a jar of it to enter into the county fair... and WIN! :thumbsup:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

there seems to be a number of things that will impart a citrus flavor to honey. here the culprit seems to be horsemint which oddly enough doesn't even look like it would be useful as a bee plant.

3. Monie

Monie New Member

I bet it doesn't even look like a horse, etiher.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Hmm, interresting, maybe that's where it came from since we do have lots of horsemint in the fields out back. I was thinking that it was pretty amazing that the few blooms on my lemon tree could be so noticable, guess I was really tasting the horsemint but not realizing it.

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Sounds like basswood to me.

Orangeblossom or Citrus honey doesn't really have a citrus sort of flavor to me. Amd blueberry blossom honey doesn't remind me of blueberries.