Finished My Bee Vacuum

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by blueblood, Jun 7, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

First of all, Thanks G3farms for your video of your vac (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=922gkjV3iqA). I still have to paint it. The suction increases and decreases as it should. I also like the suction rate with the gate half way closed. I already have one cut out and a chimney I could go try this puppy out on...
    0607120951.jpg 0607120951a.jpg 0607120951b.jpg 0607121019.jpg 0607121019a.jpg 0607121020.jpg

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very nice, do you do reno work on the side? :wink: :thumbsup:

3. pturley

pturley New Member

Addict!
    :rolling:

Looks great. I'll be building the same bee-vac design, also from G3's video posts as well. Looks to be a fairly straightforward build.

I just got done with a long campaign of building woodenware but didn't get time to start on one yet as my wife wanted her garage back. I'll be looking forward to reports of your first cut-outs using it.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Excuse me? :shock: :lol:

5. pturley

pturley New Member

Considering I have a '66 Triumph Spitfire in pieces in the back garage (body tub on a rotisserie, frame standing in the corner awaiting sand-blasting, engine on a stand, bonnet, doors and boot lid all tucked away here and there), I have say YUP! Without a doubt... ...HER garage!!!

Here is when I pulled the tub off the frame a couple years ago... ...I've been restoring it piece by piece ever since.

[​IMG]

Once I sand-blast, weld in a few patches and then paint the frame, I'll be able to build a rolling chassis in fairly short order (all the suspension bits are restored and ready). I already have a spare engine and drive-train (also in the back garage) restored and ready for use.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Perry! I work a 5 on 3 day off schedule at the PD. My off days, I work one or two days with a fireman who has a small construction business. He does everything from digging footers/foundation to trim and everything in between. I have experience working with another home builder also. I do ceramic/porcelain/laminate flooring work on the side which is s skill I learned as a teen with my step-dad who owned a flooring business.

Thanks Paul! It was very straight forward. The one hint would be to concerning the holes. I bought a 2-1/2" hole drill bit to save time. I drilled the hole in the bottom board and discovered the nozzle on my Rigid 5hp vac did not fit snug at all. The ribbed hose is 2-1/2" standard size but the nozzle is 2-3/16. I plugged the hole and traced the nozzle. I used a skill saw and cut on the inside of the circle line and all worked out beautifully. I took the hole drill bit back and used that $8 on something more useful...more wood! Ha!

I hear ya on the garage being reserved for the lady folk. We purchased an old Nazarene church and the parsonage built in the late 60's. We renovated the church into a home (her parents in the parsonage behind us to take care of them). Well, I constructed half of the area reserved for the garage for a workshop. She still gives me a hard time about being shorted. She just has a one car garage at the back of the house. She still says we are building a barn where I can put my workshop and she will get the rest of her garage back..

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

See, I knew not having a garage had to have a upside to it! My wife can't claim it! :thumbsup:

Hey............wait a minute! :???:

Paul = you clearly have more patience than I ever did! :thumbsup:

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That looks good, but I will have to add that is not my design, that definitely goes to Robo.

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well my old bee vac worked best with my old shopvac, which had less power than my current one. And the design doesn't allow multiple boxes or frames, it's just a want to trap and hold bees before emptying them over a hive. Since I need to do a cutout of my bee tree hive, and requeen, I'm looking at easy beevac designs. Have the tubing. Have the shopvac. Guess I'll search for pics? Is yours easier G3? These bees are getting hotter with the weather, I need a zero error accidental release vac that I can hang frames in and just unstrap and set the box on a bottom board and put a lid on it.

Gypsi

11. jim314

jim314 New Member

Nice work blueblood, I like it :)

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I still like the Tom Sawyer vac box best. It's the only one I know of where you can watch the bees coming in, and adjust the vac accordingly. Then you set it on your stand, set your hive body and lid on it, remove the sheet metal bottom, and walk away. Go back in a day or two and replace it with your bottom board.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/BEE VAC/

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Gypsi, the one I made is just like what Blueblood made, we call it a robo style. It is the only one I have ever used so can not compare it to anything else. For me it works great. Most times I just take it back to my yard and leave the bottom of the vac on it for a couple of days to let the bees settle down, remove the vac top and put on an outer cover. It uses a hive body so yes frames of foundation or drawn comb can be installed before the job starts. Once the bees are in the box they are captured for sure.

14. Marbees

Marbees Member

I agree with her, you need that barn for your workshop/honey house:grin:
    Good loking robovac:thumbsup:

15. Gypsi

Oh, that tom sawyer I could build. What I presently use, I'd have to change the old paneling for plexiglass, which I just might have laying around the garage. Add a slider, remove the bottom and change it to side brackets to mount to another box. It would be less work, and less wasted material. Thank you for that pic!

I need to take a pic of mine. super primitive, I had my pond crew build it out of spare parts in about half an hour, (the big drill is heavy) but it did do a cutout ok. Emptying, not so good. But it's a medium with drilled holes for the vac already. Needs a slider to control air flow, but the emptying part is an issue.... that I MUST address.

Good looking bee vac Blueblood. I'm just lazy. I don't want to waste what I've got built, or more wood, or more time. That beetree bunch was a bit hot today. Needs moved and re-queened. And presently I'm off work. (supposed to be bookkeeping, lol)

Gypsi

16. Lburou

Lburou Member

Planning to build one of these robo type vacuums, thanks to all who have posted pictures and videos...The youtube video is how I found this site. Seems like people get along here. May make it my bee home. :)

17. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

This is the friendliest forum I have found. The info here is second-to-none as well. :)

18. Gypsi

Welcome Lburou!

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Lb! This is a very good place to park. I have yet to see one impatient or rude person here which is unique to most forums. Very, very nice folks willing to help ya out...event if it's the 100th time the question has been asked....

20. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the site Lb :hi:

I would bet one of the videos you saw was me (soapy22bullet).