Fire

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Iddee, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Fire at A. H. Meyer and Sons, South Dakota Beeswax Rendering Plant

A flammable solvent leak, similar to lacquer thinner led to an explosion and fire in one of the buildings at this large beeswax rendering facility in Winfred, South Dakota on Monday, September 28, 2009.

One employee was seriously injured and transferred to a Minneapolis hospital for burn treatments, and 20 firefighters spent more than two hours at the scene. They focused on cooling a large solvent tank and three propane tanks to protect them from the fire, which gutted the building.

Meyer’s have had similar events in 1990, and again in 2004, according to AP. Meyer’s prepares beeswax for the cosmetics and candle industries.

This message brought to you by Bee Culture, The Magazine Of American Beekeeping, and on October 5, 2009…Bee Culture Goes Digital! Watch for more information on Digital Bee Culture, The Paper AND Digital Magazine Of American Beekeeping

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I bet that was one heck of a fire. The water would not have put out the wax fire only spread it around. Sounds like they need some fore sprinklers.

G3

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I'd like to see his insurance policy premiums...I bet they are high... :shock:

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I'll bet they are about to go up.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I bet the insurance folks have in their employment a very capable lawyer who knows how to write in extremely small print.

ps... as almost every navy man knows there are some fires that water will not suppress. mater of fact water when used on the wrong kind of fire just makes the fire worse and multiplies the danger for anyone trying to put out the fire.

6. Charles

Charles New Member

So true, when I did my training at Treasure Island in San Fran there was alot of training on chemical fires, I had to watch a film with the "Chief with the Purple K Fire Extinguisher" getting blown up on a carrier so many times that it's etched into my brain forever...

Nothing I can remember on beeswax though :) I would imagine you could treat it as a cooking oil type fire and use foam...

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Not sure where I read it, but there was another fire in California just recently that burnt a bee operation.

8. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Makes me wonder. I had some old broken frame bars from some abandoned equipment and thought they'd make great campfire kindling. They didn't. The wax/propolis melted and bubbled off, but the darn things refused to catch fire.

They became garden row marker stakes.

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Probably so many chemicals, it acted as retardant......... :rolling:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I put mine in my water stove. They burn just fine. Of course, it's hot enough to melt aluminum, too. :eek: :lol:

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

in my younger days i was a firefighter, we absolutely hated any kind of oil or wax or chemical fire. partly because of the materials involved, but mostly because of the ignorance of the people who tried to put out the fire before we got there.

I never had to go to a fire for a bee operation but there was a candle making shop on the back side of a huge hog barn..... nasty!!