Fires in Methow Valley and interesting FYI about homeowners insurance covering bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by hlhart2001, Jul 26, 2014.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Hi there,
    I live in the Methow Valley where the wildfires have been raging(400 square miles scorched, 250,000 acres + 300 homes lost. The fires have come within 5 miles of our house but the lower valley is where the devastation has occurred. It is now 50% contained and 2-3000 fire personnel are working on these fires(Carlton Complex along with fires in Entiat, Leavenworth..) but, with rising temps again one can only surmise. One of the beekeepers in the lower valley sustained fire damage to her home/property and her bees gorged on all the honey in their hives when the smoke became thick..so now they have no winter stores and no foraging as the land around is a moonscape. She found out from her insurance that they will cover supplemental feeding throughout the winter(candyboards). I happen to have the same insurance. I found this interesting and thought I'd pass it along. Here is a video shot by a drone flying over the landscape(as you can see there isn't much left...http://vimeo.com/101148473 Halley

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Halley so glad to hear your still safe. we have had your smoke up here for a few days before the heavy rains last week. So sad to see the total destruction left in the wake of the fires.