First bumping of heads on "our" bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by extrasharp, Mar 18, 2013.

1. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

I had a spot picked out for the hives, hubby had another idea :no: I wanted them closer to the pond, he said the bee school said a 1/2 mile was ok. Anyway they just have to go through a few trees about 200 feet to get to the pond. I'll set up a water bucket, chicken waterer or trough someplace if I need to.

I was going to use concrete blocks, hubby poured a level concrete pad to sit the concrete blocks on and some ties to secure against any flat line winds that come through. Our soil is super sandy. I guess its "our" hobby now.

I did get to do the art work. :) BBF is Badder Bees Farm. We have 67 acres. Going to be bees and forage (hay and grasses) My dream is a wildlife area. Had the wildlife camera out by the barn. We have turkeys and deer that love our farm. Our first ducks hit the pond Saturday.

Attached Files:

• pad.JPG
      pad.JPG
      File size:
      66.5 KB
      Views:
  2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup: Love the art work!
    The bees will find that water no problem, and once they do you won't need to provide anything closer (unless you want to). :wink:

3. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Hubby wasn't thrilled to have ducks in the pond because we have them at home too.

Attached Files:

4. extrasharp

extrasharp New Member

Thank you.

I have a pool, a koi pond, a goldie pond and a 2 ft deep bird pond at home. We just dug a 1/2 acre fishing lake at the farm. I can honestly say hubby is sick of my water obsession :)

I have my assembled hive in the basement. We bought eco friendly stain. I need to get the inside foundations put on them. I have this panic thing that always happens, afraid I won't be able to do something. After I do it a couple times I'm ok. Right now I need to open the boxes and make sure the little brads ? are in with the foundation. Been walking around all weekend with my bee book. Brood, then food. Brood, then food. Trying to memorize parts and names.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like you're on the right track! :mrgreen: