First call of the season

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by SlickMick, Aug 17, 2009.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

Just had the first swarm call of the season.

Unfortunately it was not for a swarm but for a colony that had built in a cavity brick wall. I dont do trapouts or cutouts so I was unable to assist other than offer advice and try and head the people in the right direction

Mick

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

come on mick, do the outback tap out.

G3

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Hello Mick,
    It's a shame that most people think we have a magic flute that we can not only charm the bees out of the wall, but also have all stored honey and brood, and other stores that ants might find attractive, depart the wall, with the bees, within 5 minutes of our arrival. I would have loved to do the trap out, but most people don't want a protracted stay on their properity while the bees are in transition between their old home and the one you are providing.

4. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

It is a bit of a shame really because they do not want to hurt the bees but to do a trap out would have meant a lot of gearing up and travelling quite a long way to do something I am not really happy about doing because of the issues on the site.

The bees had access to both the inside and outside of the house and were being attracted to the inside by citronella candles.

I gave them some ideas on how they might be able to convince the bees to leave including making cones to go over the entrances but I suspect that the wall will have too many entrances to keep them out being cavity brick.

Mick