First cut and crop, kinda sucessfull

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by RE Jones, Nov 14, 2011.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Well. I did my first cut and crop this morning and it went well, except for the bees balling the queen!!!
    I've got them in the lang hive and will get a queen tomorrow.
    Right after I finished that, got a call from work about another swarm. Turned out to be a hive with brood and honey. They got a ride to crackerbee's house, hope his wife is not too mad. When I pulled off there were still bees all over his garage!!
    Anybody have any ideas why the bees killed the queen?? They had her in a ball about 10 feet from where I was working. I did not see them until I was finished and it was too late.
    Robert

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Are you sure they were balling her to kill her, it almost sounds like they were trying to protect her?

3. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

Not sure, but I know by the time I got over there, she was dead.
    I know that I did not step on her or anything like that. I stayed on one side of the hive and where I was doing the crop. The ball was on the other side about 8-10 feet from where I was working. I was looking for her as I cut comb away from the bush they had built it on. They had built comb and attached in several places that I could not see, so it was kind of feel my way along. Never mashed a bee and they did not seem to be upset at what I was doing.
    I was finished and cleaning up when I noticed the ball of bees. Went over there and there she was at the bottom of the pile, dead.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Bees, I'll never figure them out. Just when you think you have the most rudimentary bit of insight, they let you know you don't!

5. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

My luck with queens is not so good, looks like.
    I was going to pinch the one in my small TBH hive and combine the rest with a lang as there were only 150 or so bees left in it. When I found her and went to get her, she made about three circles in the air and was out of sight, I think she knew what was coming?
    Robert