First day beekeeper!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Cupcakus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

Picked up my packages today and installed them this afternoon. I went full suit, but no gloves following the advice many have given about wearing gloves. I got one right in the side of my thumb installing the second box. Good news is, even though it's been years since I was stung by a honey bee, I barely noticed it and the pain went away in about 20 minutes... so I guess for now at least, this hobby won't be too painful. Still a shame I was stung on my very first day as a beekeeper. :grin: I also dropped a frame when I was putting them back in and squashed a couple girls. :???:

My supplier gave us these interesting candy plugs to put into the queen cages after we pulled the cork out, it was a hard sugar candy inside of a rubber tube. I suspended the queen cage on a rubber band around the frame. How long should I leave it in there before removing it? The tube was about an inch long.

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sorry about that sting. Chalk it up to building up your resistance. If it doesn't make you nervous, I advise sticking with no gloves. That way manipulation is much easier. Many beeks like to work with nitrile rubber gloves---protection without the thickness of leather gloves.
    You can (should) leave the queen cage in for about a week. There is no rush reason to remove it and disturbances too soon can sometimes cause a queen to be rejected. After a week she should be busy laying eggs and the family should be happy enough with her presence ta calmly accept your entrance into the hive to remove the cage. At the same time you can check for eggs and young larvae to get a first impression of how she's doing.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you are doing fine!

A sting to the finger is not so bad after all.

I would do a very quick check on the third day to be sure the queen is released and then leave them alone for a week. Too much disturbance is not a good thing until they become anchored to that hive.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

And you're off! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Have fun, pull up a lawn chair and enjoy the show!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    I suspended the queen cage on a rubber band around the frame. How long should I leave it in there before removing it?

tecumseh...
    sounds like you got a 'california introduction cage' which is a small and has no attendants and no candy plug (candy comes in a black plastic tube which you insert into the introduction cage). I am not certain why the candy plug is hard since most folks that I know that use these fill the little plastic tube with standard soft candy. speculating here> the harder candy may have some advantage in that even in very hot weather the candy would not go liquid and run out the end of the tube. given you description of the candy plug as hard I would suggest in two to three days you look at the introduction cage to make CERTAIN the queen has gotten out <you really don't need to dig around in the frames at this time but just to make certain the queen did get released. if no then you may wish to release the queen directly < this essentially involves pulling the plug (in one motion) and quickly placing the open end of the cage back into the hive (in the same motion).

they make some nice frame griping devices that might be a nice intermediate solution when it comes to the glove / no glove question. imho you really don't want to be dropping many frames with or without gloves.

7. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Congrats on you first install.

8. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

That's exactly what I received. And being in California, I guess that would make sense. The cage is very small, and she's alone in there. I also do have a frame lifter tool I'll use that in a few days when I quickly check the cages, and will remove the cages next weekend.

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Good for you. I'm installing two packages in the morning. We'll progress together! :D

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We sure do like to see pics or even better video of the installs!! Just saying!!!

Good luck with the packages and don't forget to feed them good.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the california introduction cages are not simply used in California. the basic idea is you can ship a lot of these small cages in a small box and place attendant and a bit of candy in the box to get them from here to there. the same basic idea is used in the plastic jzbz cages.

ps... being smallish they also seem to get the queen released a bit quicker than your standard 3 hole introduction cage.

12. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

Ask and ye shall receive! Here's the video of my install. Many observers came out, my son behind the camera in full suit and gloves, my wife and some friends behind a fence about 30 feet away, and the real fraidy-cats inside the house looking through a window. :lol:

[video=youtube;0A3aH73cCWQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A3aH73cCWQ[/video]

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

WOO HOO :yahoo:

Looks like you did a good job!