First day keeper receiving nucs today! Tip me off!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by polecat, May 28, 2015.

1. polecat

polecat New Member

I am a first time beekeeper getting 4 cram packed 5 frame nucleus colonies today.
    I have a deep super and top feeders ready for each of the nucs, and I was thinking of just setting the nuc boxes on the screened bottom boards for a few days before installing the frames into their permanent home in the deep

Does leaving the nucs to sit there a few days before installing them - help them to get acclimated to their new location at all, or should I just install them as soon as they get here? They are very full nucs.

I'll be feeding them a 1:1 syrup for at least a week while they get to work. I'm in SE TN, and there are bounds of clover flowers on the ground, among other summer flowers. Should I feed them longer than a week?
    I do have a mentor, he says I will need to feed them all the way through to the fall to help them store, but please let me know your thoughts as well!!

Thank you!

2. polecat

polecat New Member

Oops I posted this to the organic forum! Newb

3. DoubleR

DoubleR New Member

Thread moved to General BeeKeeping :)

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I'd put them into the deep right away, if they are crammed into the nuc they'll swarm soon. Move them and give them room to grow.

5. polecat

polecat New Member

My mentor said the same thing last night and we did move them into the deeps last night. Very gentle girls, and taking care of TONS of brood. Saw honey, pollen, and unfortunately there was a little in-fighting which I was sad to see - but I guess that'll happen when you transfer three nucs at one time.

I got my first "kiss" last night when I didn't look where I was putting my hand-my fault.
    ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1432900322.273779.jpg

6. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Yeah. Get them out of the nucs.

There will be different opinions on feeding, but certainly feed until they start drawing comb good. Listen to your mentor who has eyes on your bees. Timing will depend on whether your Queens are mated.
    And, welcome to the forum!:hi:

Where in SE TN? Good luck finding sun in the next few days. I am in Scottsboro, AL, just over the line.

7. polecat

polecat New Member

We are about an hour southeast of Knoxville. We got mostly sun today and a little rain and boy the girls were flying! Already started working the white clover flowers around the yard too.

I think we are going to feed until they fill the deep and then will add a medium. I know I won't get any honey this year but that's okay by me.

8. camero7

camero7 Member

good plan

9. polecat

polecat New Member

Would you reduce the entrances on the hives? They seem to be coming in and out okay, but they are set up like this currently:

ImageUploadedByBeekeeping Forum1432991857.602908.jpg

The shallows on top are just to hold town the top feeders I have in there.

10. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

My practice is to keep new hives-from-nucs reduced. A couple inches the first week or so. My April colonies are still at one half entrance. The theory is to give the guard bees less to defend and reduce robbing of a young hive.

That being said, Tennessee in an open field is going to be super hot in mid summer, and by July you will need to open the entrance and probably prop the tops.

11. camero7

camero7 Member

Yes, I'd reduce to about 1" for a while. No need to invite robbing.

12. polecat

polecat New Member

We do have a tall apple tree and pear tree behind the apiary that gives them afternoon shade, and we are also in a "holler" of a valley surrounded by mountains, so we get a lot of breezes through here. That's why they have three bricks on top of each hive sometimes I think the wind through here will whisk my dog off her leash.
    I'm very fortunate that my mentor lives right next door, he said he has some reducers I can borrow.

13. beeshaman

beeshaman New Member

I'm picking up four five frame Nucs queen bred and laying well , and transporting up to a farm good flora ,warm season here,better to keep hive 10 frame single box or OK to start with doubles , gonna leave hives there , ideas please people to feed them before leave em as be a month before check them as don't live there ?

14. Guba

Guba New Member

Start them with a 10 frame single. They need somewhat confined space to fill out frames and too repel any hive invaders.

15. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Beeshaman what part of the world are you in? Country and region?