First day of rifle season

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by pturley, Dec 11, 2011.

1. pturley

pturley New Member

Several years ago I used to work for a small, privately owned manufacturing company in Minnesota. The owner of the company was a textbook example of a narcissist and generally an arrogant SOB... Lets just refer to him as "Sal".

One Monday just about this time of year (though a bit earlier in the fall), the owner of the company stopped by the door to my office and states in a condescending tone: "Well, I can see you aren't a hunter!"
    (Now, ironically, I had just spent all day Saturday of that same weekend in a tree stand with a bow and arrow in my hands... Throughout the day, I saw several deer, but none came close enough for me to take a clean shot.)

"How's that?" I respond.

"Don'tcha' know, its the first day of rifle season." he quipped back. "If you hunt, why didn't you take the day off today?"

I replied; "Sal, I hunt. In fact I was just out on Saturday, but I don't hunt during rifle season." I continued; "If you can go out with a rifle and a 12 pack and still come home with a deer, as I see it, there is something inherently wrong with the process..."

Sal glared at me for a somewhat uncomfortable length of time, his face turning progressively red as he struggled for something to say. Finally, he turned and walked away. Despite the fact his office was well over 100 feet from mine, down an open hallway, through the lobby, past the front desk and up an open flight of stairs, I clearly heard his door SLAM when he got to his office.

I walked down to the engineering manager's office and said; "Hey, I think I pissed Sal off."

He replied; "What happened this time?"

I explained our conversation. As we talked, the engineering manager's jaw literally dropped... "Do you know that big bull Elk that Sal has been showing off pictures of last week?" he asked.

"Yeah" I said.

"Well, he just got done telling me about how drunk he was from the night before when he took the shot!"

I simply smiled, returned to my office and went about my day. That was one of the best days I ever had working there. I quit a few months later (this was the 2nd best day.)

Be careful out there everyone.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

great story. I wish I had kept a tab of all the occasions that gave me solid and almost indisputable evidence to concur with your hypothesis.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I was gonna say "time to dig out those resumes" till I caught the last line! :lol: :mrgreen: :thumbsup: