First dead-out of 2013

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Apr 10, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Decided I would go around and do a few checks on hives close by.
    There was one that I have referred to in previous posts that was quite small in numbers. It was really nasty late in the fall and I have been guessing that it may have been queenless.
    Well I think I was right. It is dead.:sad: I took a look through the top box, removing frames and found 2 very small clusters of only a few dozen bees and that was it. I could not seem to locate any signs of a larger dead cluster between the frames in the lower box, so I am assuming it just dwindled away. I will take my truck next time and tear it apart for a postmortem. I found a few frames of honey in the top and I will set them aside for other hives when/if it ever warms up enough to peek inside a few and pull frames.
    This is the time of year where things get dicey.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Perry are you still doing heft tests? if you find hives that are light, place the full honey frames from any dead outs after looking for brood disease in the center of the super and place it on the light colony's on top of the inner cover. The bees will come up and get the honey and move it down on warmer days

3. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

Wha? -- So it's not a perfect record for the winter of 12/13!? So CLOSE!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: Sorry Adam , hope I didn't let you down. :lol:
    I had doubts about this one, and there's one more on the North Mountain that has my attention. Sadly, it's another one of the Buckfast we got.
    It may be OK but it's not as strong as I was hoping.
    2 years ago = 18, lost 1
    Last year = had 22, lost 10 (as the Queen did say, annus horribilis)
    This year = had 29, lost 1 (so far)

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Bright side. That's one less hive you have to build, and it even has drawn comb already. :D

6. Adam Foster Collins

Adam Foster Collins New Member

So it is still alive - but just very weak. Heck, if we're not counting those as successes, then I've got even fewer hives!

"annus horribilis" - Is that in reference to the year of horrors, or is it a description of how your butt felt in the spring?

Adam

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Both!!!!!!

:lol: I took a butt kicking beekeeping wise that year. Life got busy, threw me a few curves too many, and the bees suffered for it. :|

Iddee = you're right as usual. :thumbsup:

Apis = I think that's what I'll do. I have the 2 deeps from the dead out and 1 spare deep with some frames of honey in them. Think I'll even them out and set them over the inner cover holes of 3 hives. Should I narrow down the opening or leave it as is?

8. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

Sorry to hear this, PerryBee. I hope it turns out to be your only loss. Sounds like you really prepped them for winter well! How much longer do think before spring finally arrives way up there?

(Saved this post just for you... :wave: Thanks for finally posting something.... :lol:)

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Bees In Miami.

Looks like my post beat yours by a second or two. :lol:

How's it feel to be a senior? :shock: :lol: :thumbsup: Thanks for your contributions . :wink:

10. Bees In Miami

Bees In Miami New Member

There should be a category that says 'Senior member that still doesn't know jack!' :lol: Thank YOU for your contributions! :thumbsup:

11. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Good luck Perry, hope the rest make it through.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Apis = I think that's what I'll do. I have the 2 deeps from the dead out and 1 spare deep with some frames of honey in them. Think I'll even them out and set them over the inner cover holes of 3 hives. Should I narrow down the opening or leave it as is?"

this is what i do perry, what apis said. i just set the frame on the inner cover, and will most likely be doing this myself with the hive i lost to supplement the others. i don't change any openings. i use a vent box with 2" of foam in it, i think the box is 3 or 4" high. i set the frame on the inner cover, flip the vent box over, leaves room for the frame, still insulates the hive and i can get the outer cover on, all done very quickly. better than sugar!

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    'Senior member that still doesn't know jack!' [​IMG]

tecumseh...
    I have been thinking.... where is Jack anyway?

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Miami, Jack is "brooks bee farm". Now you can call yourself a senior member that DOES know Jack. :D

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Perry snip...
    I took a butt kicking beekeeping wise that year. Life got busy

tecumseh...
    I seem to recall you got busy rebuilding your house and the bees simply had to tend to their own problems. Looking at this in another way... how many agricultural enterprises could you 'get busy with other priorities' and come back months and months later and still have anything left?