first full hive inspection

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, Apr 28, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I did my first complete look thru the two nucs that I installed two weeks ago. Last weekend I gave the a quick look and when I found uncapped brood I stop. Now hive two last weekend seemed to have more bees and where drawing out comb quicker then hive one. Dad has been taking care of feeding ( it is an eighty mile round trip to the farm ) his observation was hive two was needing to be feed twice as much as hive one. This made sense to thinking hive two was stronger. When I installed the bees both nucs had three to four frames drawn out. So when I checked on them today hive one had eight and a half frames drawn, and to my suprise hive two had seven and a good start on a half. The wheather has been hit and miss from cold and rainy to mid sixties the last two weeks so I was shocked to see how many frames where in comb. For them to forage on there is two acres of danish clover that came up in the early warm up, an uncountable mileage of blackberries in bloom ( all the fence lines have blackberries on both sides not even sure if there is still a fence in the middle:lol:) the farm behind us has probably 100 + acres of golden rod in bloom, tulip populars in full bloom. So is this the normal rate for the bees to draw comb:???:. I was so unready that dad and I where busy building 20 frames so I could get the second deep on them. Are they going to continue at this rate? If I did the math right they are drawing close to three a week at that rate I would need to add my first shallow in three weeks and then the second in another two weeks. Then I am out of woodenware should I look at getting more shallows or will this all slow down ?:dontknow: Diaries of a confused new beek, eish I must have read the wrong book:confused:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It all depends on your flow. You should always try to have more woodenware than you need on hand. :wink:
    You have goldenrod in bloom now? :???:

3. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

A lot of the farmers use it as a cover crop and we had an early spring, things where in bloom back in late Feburary. It has been a really weird year here it looks like we will do our first cut on the hay fields in the upcoming weeks, usualy the first cut is not until middle of June. Dad thinks if the wheather stays it the current pattern we might be able to get four cuts on the hay fields this year, and make up for only getting one good cut and one so-so cut last year from all the rain we had.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like they are ramping up to take off. In another week they should be drawing a frame a day. Once the flow ebbs, they will slow on drawing. They will only draw what they need for brood and storage.