First Harvest Question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Sep 13, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Well the little darlings have blessed me with 2 supers of honey this year...Pretty impressive for package bees and brand new foundation! I am going to harvest one super in a few days after I give my escapes some time. I noticed today there is some capped drone cells on a few frames, but very little overall. Should I cut around this as I uncap? I don't want larva in my honey. I'm so excited!!! :yahoo:

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Congatulations! You've got good reason to be excited.
    From my experience, nothing flies out of capped cells during the extraction process by spinning. So you could leave the sealed cells and return the undamaged frames to the hive with no danger to your honey. If the cells are at the perimeter of the combs, you could cut them away without damaging the combs shuld you want to feel more secure. Another option could be to open the cells and remove the unemerged drones from the cells before extracting. If they are at the maggot stage, it wouldn't be advisable to try that--they tear easily and release their contents, but in the unemerged adult sttage, they easily pull out with an uncapping fork or anything similar.

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Congrats! All of efmesch's suggestions are good ones. We filter our honey and usually don't worry about a little drone comb. If it's more than a few cells, tho, we cut it out.

5. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Well thanks for the replies everyone. It's not much drone comb, just a few spots about the size of a silver dollar. I am going to filter my honey but I still don't want any of the fluids from the larva in it..yuck. They have another super full but don't have it all capped yet so I will wait and check it in another week or so but that super has almost no drone comb in it.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can also swap frames from one super to the other until one has all extractable frames.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

if the cells are capped there is no yuck since the drones are at the pupae stage. since they are capped this also means they will emerge shortly.

8. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'm sorta heartless about it... just grab a spoon and scoop that part out before you extract. ;)

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

While you're scooping, it pays to examine the drones you've taken away to see if there is any varroa infestation in the hive.

10. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Haven't had any drone brood in any honey frames yet, but this is all very good advice. I second the filtering; it seems to take care of any yukkiness so far.

11. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

yep efmesch...two birds one stone, gotta love it!