First hive inspection.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by crazy8days, Jun 10, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Did my first hive inspection today. One hive is growing strong. 3 frames of brood with open and capped honey. Pollen stores are present. Brood of all stages. Temperament was great.

Second hive not as strong but knew that when I brought them home and placed them in their new home. Doing well, say many newly laid eggs and watched a new bee break free and come out. Awesome! Good pattern of brood, uncapped and capped honey. The only odd thing I found was there were 2 frames that the comb is built up nicely but they also built comb 3 cells wide the length of the frame. Was on the side of another. Mostly just wax cells but some had capped brood. I did remove. Any reason for this?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Frames not pushed together tightly.

3. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

That was what I was thinking! only problem, one frame I got with my nuc is bow legged.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Place it just to the outside of the brood nest where she won't lay in it. Once brood has emerged, replace it.

OR, if not too bad, try to bend it straight.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Will do! Thanks Iddee!

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Removed 2 frames that were bowed. They were making a mess with wax. Moved them to the outside and hopefully soon I remove them, keep the foundation and junk the frames.