First honey.....beetle question??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by roadkillbobb, Sep 10, 2016.

1. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

I harvested just one frame of honey to get a taste, mmm good...I will leave the rest for wintering and feed if needed...as I pulled the frames to check on whats going on I saw a black beetle about 1/4 inch or smaller in diameter, are these hive beetles? I only saw the one, but im sure there are others..I greased the legs of the stand that the hive sits on to help keep them and any ants from climbing up, what else should I be looking for, I treated for mites , (after honey was removed for me) with OA vapor, will that also help with the beetles?. last year I lost my hive to the varroa mites and dont want anything else to hurt the colony this year...thank you for any info on the beetles..

2. camero7

camero7 Member

Probably SHB. I've seen a couple up here from time to time. They will probably die out in the winter... if you're only seeing one or two at a time the bees will control them. Just have strong hives. OA vapor does not kill SHB

3. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

ok thank you for the info..so far just a few have been seen..bees seem to be strong and growing in numbers this year...

4. paint504

paint504 Member

I suggest getting beetle traps, I have two in each hive and I empty them out once a month. Usually there are about 10 - 20 beetles in them.

5. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

what do you use for bait in the beetle traps? any brand you like better than another? thank you..

6. paint504

paint504 Member

I don't use bait the beetles just look for a place to hide from the bees and end up in the trap.

7. camero7

camero7 Member

I think it depends on where you're located. Here SHB are not a problem and I've brought hundreds of nucs up from FL. the beetles don't reproduce in our soil or it's too cold, not sure which. I've never trapped beetles, they just disappear over the winter.

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

The south is different. The unscented swiffer sweeper sheets are supposedly the go to for catching shb now.