First inspection

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Iddee, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Checked one hive completely today. Good laying pattern, capped and open brood, a few fuzzy newborns. No drones yet, didn't look good, but didn't see drone cells.

Plenty of stores and liquid in many cells. Could be sugar water or nectar. Pollen coming in heavily. Brewer's yeast being ignored. They have been covering the yeast up until yesterday. The maples must have bloomed.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

for the new bees I suspect a good opportunity in regards to reading the expected 'seasonal' brood nest pattern. one box, two box and so on.

what is a good laying pattern?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

A good laying pattern is when the eggs are laid, capped, and emerge from the center of the frame outward, in a circle, with few cells empty.

This early, quantity of brood isn't important, as some may have ramped up a month ago, where others may just be getting started.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

'fuzzy newborns' ! :Dancing:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Fuzzy newborns are nearly white and very hairy. They darken within a few days.

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Our bees aren't taking the pollen sub any more either, but they do still want the syrup.

Our maples are blooming funny this year, it's kind of bizarre to see them with blooms only in the upper portions of the tree with the bottoms not even budding yet.

Our hives all look good, one is a little hot but we expected it and will be taking care to requeen asap.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Iddee writes:
    This early, quantity of brood isn't important, as some may have ramped up a month ago, where others may just be getting started.

tecumseh:
    you would like to start seeing some brood about now (thru much of the south). often time the size of the cluster and how many frames they cover should give you some indication of how many frames of brood a hive should have and as the season passes you would expect to see some constant expansion of the size (the number of frames covered by bees) of the cluster. the larger the size of the cluster at the onset of the process of inspection would also indicate how quickly you may need to start adding boxes (just down the road a bit).

8. Omie

Omie New Member

All you southern folk have long since had your first inspection for Spring....but we're just getting there now!
    Today was the first 50F sunny day and my one surviving hive was EXPLODING with happy girls coming and going (no, not robbers, no fighting at all). :Dancing:
    Looks like a few girls have tiny amounts of a tan pollen on their legs coming in- can't imagine what it is since no blooms apparent at all yet around here, no trees blooming yet either.
    Tomorrow a new BK friend is coming over an I will open the hive for the first time this year and see what's happening, and I 'll put a syrup baggie inside for them too. She'll be there to watch...her first bees she is getting in a month. I have pollen patties coming in another week or so too. This is the hive I'm planning to do some splitting and nuc creating from next month. Can't wait!
    I ordered some nice wood nuc boxes already.