first inspection

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Papakeith, May 5, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Today I opened the hives. I needed to make sure that the queen had been released. That, and I wanted to get a look inside. :)

I was nervous, but I was about as ready as I was gonna be.

I grabbed some burlap and got the smoker going. Donned my veil and gloves and started in.

Maybe you guys that have been at this awhile have forgotten (hopefully not) But. . .

How cool are these creatures?!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think I spent more time marveling at their work and watching them work than I did doing my tasks.
    I went in to check to make sure that the queens had been released. They had.
    I also wanted to find the queens, I did.
    After that I was supposed to check for brood, I didn't.
    I just looked over the comb they had created in the 7 days that they have been in their new home.

Simply Spectacular!

Here are a couple of pictures of my visit.

The first one shows the bees coming in fully loaded.
    bees landing loaded.jpg

The second is the comb they've made on one frame in a week's time.

7 days of comb.jpg
    I found the queens in both hives, and they are alive and well. Both hives seem to be doing fine. What else should I be looking for when I open up the hives? And, how often is too often to go in for a look?

2. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Cool Congrats and great pics... I am going to do my first inspection Sunday and I cant wait. Today was the first time I saw my Girls brining back pollen and got a real kick out of it.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Every 7 days at most. Every 2 weeks would be better, but I don't think a newbee is capable. :D

4. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

7 days?!!!:sad:

I'll never make it!

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Now's the time to set at the front door and watch. There is a world of info to learn to interpret just watching the entrance.

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

LOL... IDDEE.. Should I not check on Sunday it will be day 4 from the install.. And if I shouldnt .. What about assing Feed to the hive top feeder..(holds about a Gal) I havent checked it or added to it since thursday ..

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The first inspection can be done from 4 to 7 days. He did that one. Now, it's time to give them a minimum 7 days between inspections. Removing the top and filling the top feeder is not considered an inspection.

BUT, I can only advise ADDING feed. I don't know what that thing you're asking about is. :rolling:

8. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

OOPs... I a sorry... TYPOS... I should really re-read before I post....Long day for me.. had to deal with the basement flood still... Had to move everything into storage today.. was non stop all day...lol

Ok so I will do my first inspection Sunday... and then ck for ADDING feed every 4 days but not go into the hive for atleast 7...

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Oh how the mind can conjure up some strange and bizarre images. :shock: Here I was thinking there might some new innovative way of feeding that I had missed altogether! :lol:

10. letitbee

letitbee New Member

:rolling:
    Thanks for making me choke on my coffee perrybee:rolling:

11. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

:rolling: Thanks for the morning chuckle.

OK, ADDING feed. adding :)

I'll not go in until Saturday or Sunday. But at the rate they are building comb I want to be right on top of when I should be adding the frames into the second deep .

Also, I've got the entrance reducer on the smallest opening. Should that be left that way for now?

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

When you see them drawing comb on frames # 2 and #8, you could add your second deep with frames, maybe even moving those two
    frames up near the center of the box to bait them up a bit.

Sorry about picking at you about the typo. Consider yourself initiated into the club! :lol: :thumbsup:
    P.S. if you want to make everyone posting after you look silly, you can change your post by hitting edit post and then we'll all look foolish and confused for ribbing you about nothing! :lol:

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice pics! Neat to get a pics of more than one with pollen and two different colors to boot! I did the same thing on my inspection...I closed them up and started to admire them more when I realized I didn't check for eggs, larvae etc....ha! They are super amazing creatures...

14. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Ya know I was going to but I said ...if people get a LOL from me not checking prior to submitting so be it.... Could be alot worse.... Thanks for the welcome to the club... with some of the members here I am honored..lol

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Don't people say "laughter is the best medicine"?
    You're a medic and it's your business to keep us healthy. Thanks. :clapping: