First inspection...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Cupcakus, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Cupcakus

Cupcakus New Member

I inspected my two hives today, They've been installed for a week from packages. Here are my notes. Everything seems ok, and I've already learned some lessons.

Hive #1

• This bunch got really vocal when I smoked them. I didn't use much, but several took flight when I removed the top feeder. It seemed to agitate them more than calm them.
    • About 5 frames or so with comb. The two middle frames almost entirely filled out.
    • Suspending the queen cage with a rubber band, they ate through the rubber band, I found the queen cage on the bottom of the hive.
    • I was not able to find the queen, but I found a LOT of eggs, so I'm pretty confident here. I didn't see any larvae.
    • They're eating the patty really well, it's about 60% remaining. There are also a lot of girls will filled baskets moving around, and lots of colorful pollen in the cells.
    • They have consumed or moved about 75% of the syrup... in a week!... that's 1.5 gallons! wow.
    • Lots of stored honey, or syrup, not sure.
    • Very pretty bright orange pollen cells.

Hive #2
    • This bunch became very very calm when I smoked them. It was a real pleasure working with them.
    • About 5 frames or so with comb. Same as Hive #1
    • They destroyed the rubber band too. Found the queen cage on the bottom.
    • They have consumed about 50% of the patty, and about 50% of the syrup.
    • I could not find the queen. This one is marked too, I tried really hard. I did see some eggs, maybe half a frame, not as many as hive #1, but enough that if something happened to her they have options.
    • Plenty of stored honey and pollen.

So everything is looking pretty good. I don't think I'll use rubber bands next time, I don't like the idea of queen release from the bottom of the hive. I'll add more feed tomorrow, I don't have to open the hive to do this so they shouldn't even know I'm there.

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Sounds great! :thumbsup:

When a smoker is first puffing, it can sometimes be putting out hot smoke, then 10 minutes later it settles a bit and cooler smoke is produced. It could be that your first inspected hive got hot smoke blown at them, which might easily make them mad. By the time you got to the second hive, the smoke was cooler. Just a thought! I usually test the smoke temperature on my hand before opening the hive.

Everyone has their own prefs, and you'll get much varying advice... I personally would not feed sugar water once there is plenty of (far more nutritious) natural nectar and pollen out there for them. With a healthy young queen, they should build comb very fast once there's a strong nectar flow going on.

Doing great!

3. Ray

Ray Member

I agree with Omie:
    I personally would not feed sugar water once there is plenty of (far more nutritious) natural nectar and pollen out there for them
    You could wind up harvesting 'cane sugar' honey this fall.
    I am not looking over your shoulder, but you are approaching time to add a super.