First Look of the Year

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hobie, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Took a look at my hives today!

The stronger one - bees from the abandoned hive last year - are going gangbusters. They have brood in both deeps, and there are some drone cells in the shallow on top. Some drone comb between boxes which I sadly tore asunder. I actually saw the queen! That is significant for me. She was huge, Couldn't miss her. Bees packing in nectar and pollen, and all 3 boxes full of bees. I added a super. Ground ivy in bloom, dandelions and fruit trees shortly, and black locust to follow.

The smaller hive (swarm last year) is doing okay, too. They have decided to live in a "side-by-side" manner, apparently. Brood is in the southernmost 5-6 frames. and honey stores to the north. Odd, but if it works for them, it works for me. I'll put a super on these gals too.

Both hives very calm to my rude intrusion. I love my bees!

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Glad to hear your bees are off to a booming start.

Here the apples have pretty much bloomed and gone, the peaches are blooming now.

I need to go in my one hive and maybe split them, the hive cut out nuc is doing good, looks like they will be on the fifth frame shortly.

G3

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Congrats.... You're coming right along.

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

My flowering plum is blooming, and it is full of tiny bees (or bee-flies) that are not honey bees. The honey bees are elsewhere. They refuse to sit long enough for a proper ID.

Need to check to see who's in the Hawthorns.

The Carpenter Bees are appearing. I should be dispatching them since they are making my house and barn eaves into Swiss cheese, but they are the chief pollinator of my apple tree.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Hobie writes:
    They have decided to live in a "side-by-side" manner, apparently. Brood is in the southernmost 5-6 frames.

tecumseh:
    I would suspect that somewhere in the side by side distribution of brood and feed is one or two frames of either capped honey or a solid frame of pollen. either of these can stand as a wall to brood expansion thru the bottom brood box.

if this is so???? by leaving the hive in in current configuration you are encouraging the queen to brood upward and not horizontally.

6. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Chanclear and other pear trees in bloom here nearly a month early. Plums don't even have leaves yet and the apple trees have tiny mouse ear leaves still. Creeping charlie going nuts, loaded with honey bees and bumble bees. A flowering tree by the pole barn I don't know what it is bloomed on Tuesday. I call it the bee tree as it is normally the first tree to bloom here and is always loaded with all sorts of nectar collecting insects. I told Kare yesterday walking by the tree to go in the barn is like walking into our busiest yard sound wise.

:mrgreen: Al

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Wild plum is about through blooming, redbud in full bloom and dogwood. There are all kinds of wild ground flowers ( violet type) i don't know what they are.When making up nucs yesterday i left a couple of frames of honey on the tailgate of the truck and honey was leaking out of them,bees were flying over them and didn't pay any attention to them, so they have some kind of flow going :thumbsup: . Jack