First season in Madison County, Illinois.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bigwig, May 19, 2011.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Hello! I'm very glad I found this forum; I've learned a lot just from looking through the threads, and the comments I've already received on my own posts have been terrific. Everyone's very helpful.

I live in Madison County in Illinois, east of St Louis, MO. This is my first year and I have two hives that were started from packages.

Overall they're doing well, but Small Hive Beetle has become a challenge, especially for one of the colonies. Hoping to make it. I'll keep fighting!

-Bigwig

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Welcome, and I hope you like it well enough to stay around. If the one hive is in the shade, moving it to full sun will help with the small hive beetles. Also, keeping the hive "nearly" full will help. If you have many empty frames, a follower board can help. Keeping all frames full of bees leaves SHB no place to hide.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome Bigwig:

That's a great forum name, and this is a great forum. Personable types here that are always willing to try and help, and in a friendly manner. Very little in the way of big egos (well, except maybe me :mrgreen: )

4. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Hello Bigwig and welcome,got a great bunch of helpful and friendly folks here,hope you stick around and join in the fun.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Bigwig now that a keeper and howdy from Texas.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum Bigwig :wave:

Lots of good folks here and very helpful, don't be shy around us.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

i knew we had a bigwig somewhere on this forum. Welcome glad to see you here. You been MIA for awhile and now your found and we didnt even have to put your picture on the side of a milk carton. Hope to see you around. You have stumbled into what i believe is the most informative family friendly beekeeping forum on the world wide web again welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

8. Bigwig

Bigwig New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome, and Iddee thank you for the tip on moving the hives. I had seen you make this suggestion in other threads so I made the move last week. They still get some shade, but they're getting sun much earlier in the day, which I think is helping. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I think they're doing better.

I have also put in a screened bottom board with tray holding some oil, as well as beetle traps on the tops of the frames. Hopefully all this will help to knock the adult beetles back enough that the bees can take care of the rest.