First snake of the season.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, May 6, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Last week, I was pulling straight some rubber matting that had folded over by the wind. A really good sized ribbon garter snake was camped out soaking up the heat between the black rubber. No doubt it was checking out the mouse tunnels under the rubber. Always glad to the see the snakes. ;)

I once had a baby garter crawl up the back side of a hive that had high weeds against the box. It had gone in the notch of the inner cover (I hate those notches) and was resting on top of the inner cover to which the bees had propolised shut with a ring of propolis around the hole.

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I scared up a good-sized garter snake in the raspberry canes on Monday. I like them too, except for the jump start they give my heart!

3. dogsoldier13

dogsoldier13 New Member

we have rattlers and copper heads,but i have introduced king snakes here around the property,they must like it here because i have seen the kings mating in the flower beds around the house,i had the state bee inspector here last week and he said he lifted a hive cover a couple years ago and got bitten by a pigmy rattler that was in the top,so be careful

4. Charles

Charles New Member

We have some good size rattlers here too, enough that I got buckshot for the 357 rather than the having to get the shotgun out...

5. dogsoldier13

dogsoldier13 New Member

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Rattler nuggets with honey....yum, yum! ;)

7. An-Nahl

An-Nahl New Member

did someone say rattler?

GA is nice... dont see too much of these up north... Reported 97 lbs :shock: :eek: :cry:
    [​IMG]

8. Charles

Charles New Member

oh man, wouldn't want to meet that monster in a dark alley :shock:

9. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Looks to me like it WAS 97 pounds... :(

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Looking at that man's arms and his posture, if he's holding 97 lbs., he is a lot stronger than he looks. Get a stick that long and have someone hang a 50 lb. weight on it. I doubt you could hold it up.

11. dogsoldier13

dogsoldier13 New Member

those skinny country boys are pretty darn strong,but i agree,he doesnt look that strong,that monster was caught in beaufort,n.c. . blackbeard country! thats a little over a hundred miles from here.