First split KTBH

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by Fuzzystuff, May 20, 2011.

1. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

So, I knew I needed to get my hive split this spring. I started last year with them as 3lbs package with a queen. The exploded last year drawing nearly all of the 18 bars on the box. I left all their honey stores for them this past winter. They wintered great and had a little honey left but nothing worth taking but I noticed how full the hive was with bees. I noticed a supersede cell 2 weeks ago and thought I saw some swarm cells starting. Anyway got out there today made my splits and found queen cells on 6 bars. 1 bar had 2, 1 high and 1 low. The rest were all high up on the bars. I removed all of the cells for the 1st box because I already had a new queen to introduce in a few days. There were still so many bees in the main hive I started a nuc with a bar that had a queen cell on it. The bees were coming back just loaded with pollen orange and white. I have attached pictures of what the queen cells looked like. The main hive had 1 and 1/2 bars of honey capped already and 2 weeks ago they had only a 1/3 of a bar.

I do have a question about all the queen cells and there location on the bars.

PS I got popped 10 times and 1 of those on my cheek when my face brushed against my face.
    .[attachment=1:the066ap]New queen cell.JPG[/attachment:the066ap][attachment=0:the066ap]queen cell.JPG[/attachment:the066ap]

Attached Files:

2. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

I'm not very familiar with top bar hives but, those definitely look like swarm cells to me. Notice how they are positioned along the outside edges of the comb and they point strait down (typical swarm cell) instead of being around the center of the comb and at a slight angle (supersedure cell). Whenever a colony is preparing to swarm they build several cells like the ones in your picture and begin to act more nervous or defensive. It sounds to me like you did the right thing by splitting them up. That will usually prevent them from swarming which is what it sounds like they were fixing to do.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks good to me, and I'm not even a fan of the TBH. I would have done the same by splitting them up, hopefully that will stop the swarm instinct.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What, no sting pictures?
    One of these days I am going to try a TBH just because.

5. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Ok Perry they swelled more today and itch like crazy.[attachment=1:1kz1ll6b]Cheek sting.jpg[/attachment:1kz1ll6b][attachment=0:1kz1ll6b]forearm sting.jpg[/attachment:1kz1ll6b]

Attached Files:

6. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Just want to report that the new hive that we made from the split is doing well. We hung the queen in 24 hrs later for another 24hrs and then pulled the cork. We opened the entry today and the bees were bring in pollen like crazy. I will note that when we installed the queen they had already started drawing comb and we had feeder on the hive. We will check at end of week to make sure queen is doing fine and then we will leave them alone. The 2nd nuc has yet to have the queen emerge from her cell. I am going out of town for the rest of the week so will have to check on Saturday.