First Swarm Bait Trap

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Yote Shooter, May 17, 2013.

1. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Hi Y'all,
    Built a nuc box and set it out 1 week ago. Just behind my few hives about 50 feet away. Have it elevated and facing south with frames and 1 frame of drawn comb. Placed a small zip-lock with paper in with lemongrass oil.
    After a week of checking it daily, today I see just a few intermittent bees here and there come in and out.
    Are these likely scout bees or just my bees being curious and attracted to the smell. I have not seen any near it for the full week.
    Another question is do I redo the bait baggy with a few more drops or wait a bit and see if I score!
    I am sure that my hives are not looking to leave me. 2 of the three are new and just got and established queen in the other.
    New to this and just looking for a bit of guidance! Thanks for any info y'all can provide!
    Tim

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Scout bees would be going in and out of the entrance. They would flying around the hive measuring it up and fixing its location. You can even get a fight at the entrance (scouts from 2 colonies ?). You can get scout activity for a few days then it stops. This can be a swarm on its way, they've found a better site or a keep has done a swarm control.

I don't think you need to replenish the LGO. I find that an old brood frame with another of foundation is sufficient.

Some swarms will reject a nuc box ----- too small. Research by Tom Seeley (Honeybee Democracy) suggested that the box should be about the capacity of a brood box with a 2" entrance was preferred along with other factors.

Good hunting. :thumbsup:

Perhaps a member has a video of scouts at a bait hive ??

3. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Thanks Barbarian,

I have put 5 frames in the nuc box. Should I only have the comb and 1 more frame, to allow for additional space for hopeful bees?
    The entrance is 2". There were just a few bees that I did see come and go. I didn't see any flying around and sizing it up. Maybe saw 7 during the 3 minutes or so that I stood looking at it.
    I have more frames of drawn comb but didn't want to use more to just sit out someplace.
    I like this aspect of hopefully catching some free expansion opportunities!
    Tim

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

NEVER put in less frames than the box holds. The bees will ALWAYS draw comb off the frames before drawing on the frames. Unless you want to do a cut out in your own box, put ALL frames in EVERY box.

5. melrose

melrose New Member

I always catch swarms in nuc boxes... no issues with size. Just be sure to pull it as soon as you see that they've set up shop. You may have a problem with yours being so close to your bee yard. If you plan on moving the bees to your yard (50Ft), they won't find it after the move. You'll find a cluster of workers at the trap location.
    One trick is to move the trap at dark thirty, cover the entrance with grass, maybe upon leaving in the morning, they'll re-orient themselves.
    Best thing to do is move them off a mile or so for a couple days, then bring them back to the yard, they'll reset.

Some of the more experienced guys will chime in here hopefully. Good job on the catch!

6. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Thanks for the advice. I had planned on moving anything I catch at this location to another yard many miles away.
    This spot just seemed so tempting as it is in the back yard and on a archway built strong enough to support the nuc box and the hopeful weight of the catch. Low enough to reach up and slide off and close enough to check very often.
    I figure if I get lucky with my first attempt, I'm surely looking good for the POWERBALL JACKPOT! Oh Yea! Retire to BEEKEEPING and HUNTING!

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you're not trying to bait a swarm from your hives, more important than convenience for you would be the question of convenience for potential swarms.
    Are there other hives in your area? Fishing in a stream near home without fish might be convenient, but not very productive.
    Probably your best bet would be to place your bait hive somewhere around another apiary or an orchard in full bloom (but not too near nor conspicuously).

8. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

I've got another apiary 1 mile up the road from me. Stopped in there so many times over the last couple years and never got anyone to the door.

Will have to look around for some places to put out a couple more!
    There is a peach orchard within 6 miles but bloom is over. Might be a good place next year.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

1 mile is a reasonable distance--unless your neighbor puts up his own bait hives. I would hesitate to inform a beekeeping neighbor that I'm baiting for swarms---there is nothing illegal about it, but no one likes to lose his swarms. If you call attention to your aims, he might try to confound your plans.
    But, if you're interested in catching swarms, let it be known to the "authorities": police, firemen, exterminators, etc. They are usually only too happy to cooperate and give you a call when a swarm appears and is reported to them.

10. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Thank you, efmesch !
    Will make the contacts.
    Think that I could manage about a doz or so. Have five now.

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have seen an incredible video of a swarm actually going into a swarm trap set by member Adam Foster Collins. He was checking the trap when a swarm arrived and he videoed it. It is on a website that he and I have started for Nova Scotia keeps, under the trapping section.
    I don't really want to plug our site here (shameless) so if anyone is interested feel free to pm me and I can forward a link.