First Swarm Call of 2011

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Feb 26, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hey, me to Rat. Got a swarm call 2 hrs. ago (really a cutout) they were tearing down an old house 2 miles down the road and found a hive in the wall. About 2 lbs. of bees and a frame and a half of brood, they were short on stores about 5 lbs. so one of my dead outs will come in handy. It's a cold 52 deg.with a north wind, i cut them out and stood the brood comb up between some empty frames and scooped all i could get with a piece of cardboard off the wall and dumped them in the hive,put the lid on and told them i'd be back tonight and get them.They wasn't flying when i got there,but were when i left :mrgreen: .There were 5 men and a lady working and they wanted some of the honey to eat,so i cut off some chunks and they stood eating honey while i done the cutout. Their boss took a hit and i got my first to hits of the year :roll: .Jack

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like a good job. Those might have been one of your hives if you lost any swarms last year.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

(really a cutout)

*whew* You had me really concerned that time was slipping away from me faster than I thought. Nevertheless, swarm season I think might come early this year thanks to the weather. I saw dandelions blooming today.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

weird year i got a 2nd call 2 days ago guy cutting down a tree cut right through the middle of a hive. I guess they lit him up

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Your probably right G3, they looked like Carn's and i had some swarms get away from me.When i went back to get the hive, one of the workers said there was a ball of bees laying on a piece of wood on the ground, and when he picked it up the queen was on it and fell to the ground.(this was before i got back)they said he picked her up and put her in the hive. :roll: Well you know what i was thinking :shock: , well i went through it today and found her running on the brood frame alive and well :thumbsup: . I put a med. super on top of them with 6 frames of honey, the temp. was70 deg. today with storms coming in tonight :beg: . Ohh well, it's that time of year. Jack

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like you got a new hive of bees, good job.

7. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Brooks,
    Great!
    Geez, what kinds of temps are you having over there? We're having a really cold one here in N. California. Brrr....

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Milapostol, I got lucky with the temps. and the timing of the cut out call:thumbsup: .It's 30 deg.(48 F) cooler here today than yesterday(70F).Like they say here in SW. Mo.,if you don't like the weather wait 30 minutes and it will change :mrgreen: . Jack