First swarm call

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by DLMKA, May 2, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Got a call right before I went on my lunch break from a very frantic city worker wanting someone to remove a swarm NOW! Decided that was a good way to spend my lunch break so drove home, grabbed an empty nuc and stapled some #8 hardware cloth on the entrance. Went down to find a basketball sized swarm 4' off the ground on a branch 1.5" diameter. Doesn't get better than that! A quick shake and most of the cluster was in the box, quite a few in the air and after setting the box down the fanning started and the clump that missed the box started marching into the box. Spend 10 minutes visiting with the nice ladies in the office across the street waiting on things to calm down and put the lid on and went home with my 3rd colony! I guess there is 4-5 lbs there, should be a nice hive.

Questions: I left the hardware cloth over the entrance after I left them in the bee yard thinking they were well fed and a few hours in the hive would get them to accept it. Can I leave them in the nuc until they get some frames drawn out? I don't have any drawn frames for them so they'll have to draw their own comb.

2. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Forgot the pics

02may12_first_swarm2.jpg 02may12_first_swarm1.jpg

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Give them an entrance/exit after dark tonight.

I can't tell if the box is full of frames, but it HAS TO BE.

A frame of brood would be nice to help anchor them, but I don't use one and I only lose a couple each year.

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I put frames in before I closed the lid up. I'll open the entrance after I close the chickens up tonight. Man, what a rush!

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

The lady from the city asked what they owed when I called to say they were gone. I was flabbergasted and blurted out $50. Don't know if that's normal but it will at least get me woodware for the broodbox.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Some folks have all the luck, :thumbsup: nice easy swarm catch and then they ask you what you charge? :thumbsup:Good thing for them you are a decent person :thumbsup: or .............................
    I know of a few that would have used an opportunity like that and taken extreme advantage of the situation.

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

This was blind, stupid luck. I had just got off the phone with a fella down the road to make sure I could put hives on his pumpkin/vegetable patch (he'll take all I can get) and the call came in just as I was leaving to go to lunch anyway. What better way to spend a lunch break that catching swarms!:lol:

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice Job! Man, a swarm and $50 bonus! That help pay for a ton of frames and foundations. It is a rush isn't it.

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'm going to ask if I can put a baited swarm trap there. If the mother hive threw off a swarm this size there may be another one coming.