First swarm of the year!!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by RE Jones, Jul 9, 2012.

1. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I have done two cut-outs this year, but have not seen any swarms.

I went out this morning to water the garden and noticed something kinda funny in the bee yard. I had built two 8 frame deep boxes and left one of them open. I always put some frames in them just to keep the frames out of the way. Frames have no foundation, just frames. There were probably 50-60 bees going in and out of the hive. Then I heard the swarm.

They came over my bee yard from the north, kept going across the street and landed about 15' up in a tree. As soon as they landed, the bees that were checking out my hive followed them.

I grabbed my new, untested swarm catching rig, the hive body they were checking out, now with frames and foundation and one frame of drawn comb and headed across the street.

The rig worked great and they are now living in their new home in my yard, hope they stay! IMG_0136.jpg IMG_0137.jpg IMG_0139.jpg

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No pics of the swarm catching rig??

Nothing like seeing a swarm move in and then getting to put them up!!

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Must have been a bit of work getting through all those creeper branches. Well done! :thumbsup:

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

wow nice catch, I have not seen a swarm yet, tons of removals and waiting on the last 2 trap-outs to finish up but love to catch a swarm or 2, alot less work involved:grin: Gratz again btw

5. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

G3, swarm catching rig is nothing fancy. It is a five gallon bucket attached to a fiberglass pole that was once used to flip the jacks on transformers. It has three sections that extend out and lock in to place, makes it fifteen feet long.

Perry, it was no big deal with the bucket, I just wiggled it through the branches to get to the swarm.

It took about four times with the bucket to get them all down. The pic of the hive setting on the tailgate of my truck was the third bucket. One more time and the queen was in the hive as a double sized softball pile of bees started making their way from the tree to the hive.

Thanks, Zookeep, I was pumped as this is the first swarm that I have seen all year. Hopefully there will be more.

Checked on the hive just a few minutes ago and they have cleaned a pile of debris out of the hive hive and seem to be content.
    Robert