Beekeeping Forums banner

First time camping

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  XLB 
#1 ·
What was the some of the first things you learned the hard way, most of us probably as a kid, camping out.
Mine was put a hole in the can of beans I took to eat. Preteen I know, built me a fire and stuck than can right beside it. Man what a mess.

#2 ·
When you hold a wild squirrel by the neck, don't get the other hand too close to his head. Those teeth go to the bone before stopping.

The weave of a burlap sack is not tight enough to hold 11 large rattlesnakes in the trunk of a car. Also, the trunk is not sealed from the passenger area.

Don't take a heavy boat down a rain swollen river when you and friends are only 10 or 12 years old. It's too hard getting it back up 3 miles of rapids after the river goes down.

I never did learn better than to carry snakes to school in my pocket. They seemed to always find a way out in the middle of class. The teachers never had to ask who it belonged to.

Squirrel nests in the top of pine trees don't always contain squirrels. Bumblebees like to use them, too. I did learn to climb down a pine tree MUCH faster than I went up it.

Stolen watermelons always taste best, but rock salt from a 12 gauge doesn't feel good.

The only cop in town isn't happy when hogtied and hoisted up a flagpole in a garbage can on halloween.

How many do you want listed here, Rast?

#5 ·
A skunk works better and keeps it empty longer, Rast. Camping?? What's that? We just went fishing for a few days. We never knew it was camping.

Twisting a squirrel out of a hollow tree with a bramble briar and choking him to death or drowning him in a nearby creek brings a good open fire supper, tho.

#8 ·
We went camping for the first time this summer.
I learned how to cook good food in a dutch oven.
How to convince toddlers to fall asleep in a tent that they would rather play in.
How to jump off a rope swing into a river.
And the best way to catch fish in a river is to wait for the boats to make 'em wash up.

#10 ·
iddee its a good thing we dont share the same set of parents. Between you and I we would have had the white coats hauling them to a happy little place when we was youngsters :D

#11 ·
Iddee said:
When you hold a wild squirrel by the neck, don't get the other hand too close to his head. Those teeth go to the bone before stopping.

The weave of a burlap sack is not tight enough to hold 11 large rattlesnakes in the trunk of a car. Also, the trunk is not sealed from the passenger area.

Don't take a heavy boat down a rain swollen river when you and friends are only 10 or 12 years old. It's too hard getting it back up 3 miles of rapids after the river goes down.

I never did learn better than to carry snakes to school in my pocket. They seemed to always find a way out in the middle of class. The teachers never had to ask who it belonged to.

Squirrel nests in the top of pine trees don't always contain squirrels. Bumblebees like to use them, too. I did learn to climb down a pine tree MUCH faster than I went up it.

Stolen watermelons always taste best, but rock salt from a 12 gauge doesn't feel good.

The only cop in town isn't happy when hogtied and hoisted up a flagpole in a garbage can on halloween.

How many do you want listed here, Rast?
Good Lord... Brother did you eat lead paint as a child? ;)
Never in my life have I read such luck as you :goodpost:

#12 ·
When your marshmallows on fire, flinging it in the air as quick as you can to blow it out is not a good idea.

Walking in the river bare-foot hurts.

Snakes don't play nice when you throw rocks at them to get them to go away.

Spear fishing only works when your going to eat the fish after words.

Listening to the people that have been camping before when its your first time is a really good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.