first time in

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by L00ker123, Jun 7, 2011.

1. L00ker123

L00ker123 New Member

I opened the hives for the first time. I have read 2 books on beekeeping but I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for this time. the top box had a lot of bees but the racks didn't have anyting on them. the bottom box was chock full of bees. the outer frames had some signs of comb building(?) the middle frames were quite full actually. I pulled one of those out and it was heavy and had a lot of dark brownish cells that were capped. I need some help as to what I was seeing. I unfortunatley squashed a few of the girls. I also got the screened bottom boards in place. What should I be looking for the next time I go in the boxes? Thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It sounds like all is well, so far. A local beek going in with you for 5 minutes would be worth a pot of gold right now. I think you have the hive right where it should be, but with the bloom coming to a close, you need to have a good understanding of what comes next. Try to find a local to go through the hive with you and show you what each thing is that you are looking at, and what may be missing or needing attention.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    I pulled one of those out and it was heavy and had a lot of dark brownish cells that were capped.

tecumseh:
    capped brood. if the capping were relatively flat this would be worker brood. the more bullet shaped caps (most typically at the outer edges of the frames) would be drone brood. the newest capping on honey should be frosting white (turns to a yellowish color after a while).

next time take a good hard look at the uncapped brood. it should be pearly white <kind of the first indicator of the health of brood and a hive. for myself this usually requires good light coming from over my shoulder to see the larvae well.

do you have a bee club somewhere abouts?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Harnett county doesn't have much of a bee club, if any. Mama beek and wally's baby beek, members of this forum, are fine beekeepers and would be glad to look into your hive with you. You can send them a private message here on the forum. Give them a week to respond, as they are out of town at this time. I don't know if they will be on the forum before they return.

5. L00ker123

L00ker123 New Member

Mamabeek and them are the ones I bought the hives from a few weeks back. I will ask her to let her daughter or one of her boys come over the next time to show me what to look for in the boxes. Very nice folks too.