Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this endeavor in august of 2020 with 3 hives that I took in trade. One hive was doing so well this march I decided to do a split. I was given 2 capped queen cells in cages from a beekeeper and after 24 hours I put them in a new brood box with 3 frames of capped brood, eggs, pollen and honey on march 15. I went into the hive this morning and both cells have been opened at the bottom but I could not find the queen (s). What I did find is 2 supersedure cells on the middle frames.
#1 Does this mean that the queen (s) didn't mate or was killed and now the bees are trying to make a queen?
#2 should I go ahead and take another frame of young eggs and brood from another hive and put it into this hive?

More info:
lots of drones seen in and out of hive

I split hive waited 24 hours then installed both caged queen cells

I've been feeding syrup to the split hive

Lots of pollen and nectar on frames

Almost all of the brood on the frames have hatched.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
The queen may be on her mating flight, and the supersedure cell may be insurance installed by bees.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.....I'll wait a week before I check for a queen, if no queen, should I just let the bees take over?
Beeves

·
Super Moderator
3,517 Posts
Thanks for the reply.....I'll wait a week before I check for a queen, if no queen, should I just let the bees take over?
Beeves
If they take over without eggs to make a queen from you will get laying workers. A queen can be gone up to 10 days on her mating flight. (I've put a robber screen on a hive after a week and had her show up on the outside before). check in a week, and even if you don't see a queen, look for eggs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts