first timer install

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Apr 30, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

We're starting out with 2 hives, we were going to start with 2 nucs but one nuc supplier backed out and I lucked out and Dadant had an extra, unclaimed package. I guess we get to see the differences in nuc and package buildup which isn't totally bad. Nuc install went great except I forgot my hive tool at home (doh!) but I improvised with a butter knive I found in the van. Nuc looked good to me, lots of capped brood, lots of uncapped brood, some capped honey and lots of bees to cover the frames. It was 52 and windy when we installed them and the forecast didn't look for it to get any better for a few days, I just moved the frames from the nuc to the hive and didn't spend a lot of time looking for the queen or doing much in the way of inspection. Sunday we helped another beek hive her packages and she picked up our package from Dadant while she was there. My 8 year old came along. We watched the first install, I did the second hive, and C did the last one with a little help. The look of terrified excitement in his face was awesome! I think he's hooked and so am I. Anyway, here's some pics.

The younger kids were supposed to stay back by the van but curiosity took over after the lid was off. I didn't want to freak them out buy hollering at them to get back so I just told them if they get stung or scared to walk away and I'd be with them in a few minutes. J took a sting to the finger probably from trying to brush bees off his clothes but didn't belive me until it started to burn but he was back in a few minutes. We have more youth jackets on the way since they obviously want to get right in there.

D working the smoker before opening the nuc.
    [​IMG]

C all ready to open the lid of the nuc.
    [​IMG]

Frame covered in bees, I suspect the queen is here.
    [​IMG]

J and C getting a closer look.
    [​IMG]

C and I scraping up some burr comb
    [​IMG]

C holding up a frame, took him a minute to get over the bees crawling on his hands but was okay with it after a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

2. Omie

Omie New Member

Terrific adventure reading and pictures! Thanks!

I find a thick sweatshirt works pretty well as a 'jacket' especially with a t-shirt under it, and this might save you some money. But you definitely want veils on the kids because you don't want them accidentally stung on the eyeball itself- which is a vary rare occurrence, but something to actively avoid. Also, bees sting when they get tangled in hair- at the very least wear a hat with a big brim.
    Stings on body areas other than the face I don't get quite as picky about. :smile:

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Lovely pics---kids and bees are natural winners! :smile:

4. pturley

pturley New Member

You got a very good looking nuc from Dadant and a great looking bunch of kids! Welcome to all four of you!

I am most happy when one (or more) of my three boys join me as well! Yesterday, I spied my youngest (7 years old) sitting on a stool right next to the largest hive. He is usually a bit scared of the bees, but was only about a 18" to one side of the landing board.

He didn't see me so I left him to enjoy himself (I should've grabbed a camera though).

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

The nuc came from Indian Summer Honey Farm (http://www.indiansummerhoneyfarm.com/). They migrate between Florida and Wisconsin and I was able to meet the owner along the route to pick up my nuc. I think $90 was a heck of a good deal considering I paid $90 for a pacakge from Dadant.

6. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Pigeon Mountain has pretty nice jackets for $35. I can stomach that easy enough, it's not that much more than just a veil. D got stung on her hand at least an hour after we got home. I must have carried home a hitchhiker that she startled when she was climbing up on my lap. We found the offender and the kids had fun holding it and feeding it some honey from the cupboard. Helped take away some anxiety from a bee that can't sting anymore.

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Great pics and awesome the early exposure to bees. Kids who have issue with Bugs are always amazed how calm bees actually are when you get to show them up close. My Boy Scouts project has been incredible for the same.

If I may say - Dont get suits, they grow out of them so fast- just get veils with hats built in (Brushy has a nice one) and let them wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans , then buy a box of small Nitrile gloves, 100 for about $6-$7

8. bamabww

bamabww New Member

That's great that the kids are interested and you've fed that interest. My 3 year old granddaughter has done the same and I'm anxious to get mom and dad's approval to do like you've done. Great pictures and oh what memories!

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I've got a 3 year old too. Planning on buying a jacket that will fit the 5 year olds but a little big, the 3 year old can use that as well and will be for a few years. C's jacket will be handed down after 2 years so it will get 6 or 7 years use. There's probably a decent market for used kids jackets too within the local club.

I'm excited they've taken in interest in some of the things we've done. I hope I'm raising 4 environmentally conscious kids that share their philosophy with their friends.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing. Have a big smile on my face seeing them.

11. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

L and I opened the hive from the nuc tonight after releasing the queen from the package bees. We were able to spot the queen (marked) which was the highlight of her day!

12. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Great pics. So far my grandchildren don't want much to do with bees, and that's ok. Their mom's aren't real enthusiastic about bees either... But maybe it will grow on them.

Gypsi