First Trapout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Hog Wild, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I started my first trapout this past Saturday, pretty much based off of Iddee's step by step instructions. The bee's are located in a 100+ year old house that will be demolished in June; luckily the owner did not want the bee's killed.

I started off with one nuc box but when I went back to check it on Sunday morning it was packed with thousands of bee's hanging around the exit cone. I had an additional box and went ahead and placed it as well. I put a frame of brood/eggs in each box but in talking with my supplier found that when I pick up a couple of additional packages this weekend that he also has some extra queens.

To speed the process along should I risk queening both nucs or just wait it out? How long should I leave the boxes prior to changing them out? There are tons of bee's in this house and I would like to get them removed prior to the bull dozers!

Thanks!

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Uhh... why are you doing a trapout if the house is going to be demolished? Why not just cut them out since the amount of damage you do to the house won't even matter?

As far as the trapout goes, leave one box for one week... then pull it and leave the next one until they are done... that's what I do anyway. Of course, I don't use the Iddee method anyway... he makes the hole on the cone so large that bees can go back in. I make sure they can't get back in no matter how much they might want to.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

HW I just finished a very small trap out and put in a queen cell and they accepted her so far. You could try a queen and see what happens. I would be curious to know.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have used a queenrite nuc and it worked just fine.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I've got one going with a queen right now... they are reluctant to go in until dusk, then they all pile in.

6. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

The reason for the trap out versus cut out is because the house is still occupied and will be until two weeks prior to demolition. Fortunately one of those weeks I will be laid up on a beach vacationing so I gotta get em while I can.....

I am planning on queening one and letting one rear their own granted there are cells in process. If not, I will queen them both.

Thanks for the advice!

7. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Two out of three ain't bad!

I ended up queening one of the boxes from from my trap out this past Saturday taking out the brood frame with one queen cell from it and added it to the additional box. (I have removed two nuc boxes thus far)I checked to insure the queen had been released today and she was out & down to business. I then checked the other box and they currently have 3 nice queen cells!

Being that I had purchased a "just in case queen" that was now not needed, I put out my third nuc box with two frames of honey and added the extra queen. Not sure what the outcome of this one is yet but should find out this evening.

I have mostly dealt with packages other than 1 cut out I did last year and there is one thing I have noticed: Bee's don't like to be moved and Step en' & fetchin en brings on a whole new meaning!

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Most cut outs I do, it seems like once you have broken up the brood nest they become a little disheartened and not so eager to fight.

You like that huh?!?! :lol: :lol: