Fishing.

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by XLB, May 14, 2010.

1. XLB

XLB New Member

a hobby i really enjoy ( and know others that do as well ) is fishing. i fish with a cane-pole, i fish with bait, lures and i'm trying to learn the art of fly fishing. who else enjoys this hobby? what method on fishing do you use?

2. Monie

Monie New Member

You betcha! I had a pole in my hands when I was knee high to a grasshopper! I use spinning combos. I have a bait caster, but I don't use it often enough and when I do, I usually get a backlash, which takes some time to get undone. I'd love to learn to use a fly rod. Some day. :)

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When dad and my uncles were alive (and i was a kid) we would set trotlines, trammel nets, and noodel flathead catfish. They would also stand on the bluff over looking a long riffel and shoot big redhorse, buffalo,and drum ( these are fish) with a 30-40 craig(sp?) rifle with steel jacket bullets and me and my uncle would swim out and get them. Then the Mo. conservation got stronger and put a stop to all that ( well some of it :mrgreen: ).Now that i'm older and have a boat, i like to crappie and bluegill fish with a spinning reel, and i might add that the only thing i found good about getting old, is here in Mo. you don't have to buy a fishing lic. after you become 65 yrs. old :thumbsup: . But i do miss the good old days, and those family fish fries.. Jack

4. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

I used to be a fishing guide in Idaho, and now I build bamboo fly rods. Do I like fishing? How about a 43" striper on the fly?
    I've been teaching my 4yr old daughter to fly cast, and she caught her first fish on opening day. Pretty great to see her smile. Then she said "Daddy, this one is too small to eat. Throw it back."

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Only thing better than fishing is catching!! To me the most fun is small mouth bass fishing, man can they put up a fight, I have had several I could not even turn their head. They hit hard and then go straight for the bottom.
    The wife and I used to go trout fishing all the time when we first got married. Go camping in the mountains for a couple of days and fish in the stocked streams for rainbows, no fly fishing here, too many trees in the way. Use a spinning reel and whole kernal corn for bait.
    But then again sitting in a shady cove and pulling out crappie or blugill is fun also.
    Sauger makes for some of the best eating I think, meat is bright white and has a good taste to me.

Now you got me wanting to go, sad thing is the lake is less than a 1/4 mile from the house, and 5 lakes with in 10 miles

G3

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

A firefighter buddy and i went to lake tanycomo (Branson, Mo.) and brought back trout we caught to the firehouse for a fish fry. No one could eat them, they had a fishy liver taste :shock: , If firemen can't eat them nobody can :mrgreen: . They are fed and released into the lake by the Mo. Dept. of Conservation. They were fun to catch on 2 and 4lb. test line with 32oz jigs. I guess it has to do with the way you cook them, we fried them. Jack

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Jack the trout we were catching were raised inside of the park in the mountains and released only within a few miles of the hatchery. They never get much bigger than 12 to 14 inches. We like to broil ours in butter with a little lemon, melt in your mouth.

8. XLB

XLB New Member

thats awsome that your daughter caught her first on opening day, i've had a few break my line, spit it back out, and and i've gotten my line stuck in the trees, but haven't caught one fly fishing yet. :dash1:
    i haven't given up hope yet tho! :D

and also, if you don't mind me asking, where do you get your fly equipment? i found a couple of sites, but every thing is so expensive. is that the same with all fly equipment?

i hear ya about those bait casters, Monie. the only time i used one was the last time i used one. i eventually had to just cut all the line of of it and restock my buddies fishing line. :oops: i use my spinner reel tho and stay handy at it.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I've never had a backlash, but i have had a few over runs. :mrgreen: Jack

10. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Jack have you got that boat out yet? you might me living in it if it keeps raining!

I too love to fish. I grew up in western Colorado and fished very very often. I've used a stick w/ floss to ocean rods you can hardly bend. I now usually fly fish w/ flies I tie myself and have 2 ponds in my yard full of bass crappie and bluegill. My neighbors have ponds too, some w/ channel cats weighing 12-15lbs they feed regularly. I made up a fly that looks like fish food so I cold hook onto one of them big guys but no luck yet. My biggest fish on fly was a Kink Salmon in Homer,AK 42lbs. I'm heading back up in 6 weeks. I'm hoping to get another shot to fly fish up ther this time. I havent been out fishing this spring yet and hate that!!!! Too many chore right now!

11. Charles

Charles New Member

Haven't had time to go for many years :-( Some of my best memories growing up were fishing with my dad. We used bait and lures. On occasion we'd take the bows and see what we could get (Dad was much better at that than me)

Need to get my act together, my son just turned 5 and I haven't taken him yet :eek:

12. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

ouch Charles,
    The locals MIGHT consider that abuse! :lol: but maybe its best. Maybe he'll enjoy it in time. There are some good lakes that should be getting good about now this time of year up near you.
    I took my son @ 3yrs to a sport show to fish and he hated it but did catch a couple. Now days he wants to go catch the BIG fish. He never did do much fishing in his own yard(we have 2 ponds, 1 is 9 acres). I take him to Alaska every summer to visit my sister and after he caught a 35-40lb salmon he doesnt llike to mess w/ the small stuff. No patience I guess.

13. XLB

XLB New Member

wow bee hunter, you sound like a pretty good fisherman. the biggest i caught was a 21" catfish on a trotline. ( i don't know if that counts. :| ) the pond just behind our house has some bluegill, crappie and bass in it, but there all real little. there is a different pond just a little farther away from our house, i'll try fishing in that one next time i get a chance.

you say you tie flies, what kind do you tie mostly?

14. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

I like dry fly fishing best but w/ the crappie and bass just a good ol whooly bugger w/ weight works good!!! My favorite bass fly is a mouse!!! they hit that thing, fly in the air,do a little dance and start fighting!!!ooooo eeee thats fun! I like them little ol bluegill. They really put up a fight for their size. Every fish you catch or even hook counts in my book. Your not @ work so it has to be good right? My Father in Law and Iddee live near a new lake in NC that I want to go down and try! Heck its not 15 min from Iddee's and I bet he hasnt got there yet? Have you Iddee? I tie all sorts of flies. Not real fancy but I trap muskrat and beaver for hair, have chickens and turkeys so I used their feathers, hunt elk and other critters for their fur. Its fun but my eyes are going south and fast!!!

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's not 10 minutes walking, but I not only haven't been, but at the prices they are charging, I won't be there, either. I just caught a 6 1/2 lb. bass about 2 mile down stream from the lake, along with 11 nice crappie, so why should I pay to fish the lake.

16. Charles

Charles New Member

We're about 4 miles from Horsetooth Reservoir. We'll make it up this year for sure, we'll have to practice open reel casting in the driveway :)

17. XLB

XLB New Member

beehunter: i go deer hunting and keep the hair from the tail, and when we kill a rabbit i save their hair. i've tied chicken down with a weighted jig hook and it made a fine crappie jig. :) so, do you follow index cards of some sort when you tie flies, or do you make your own designs?

iddee: yep! :thumbsup: i think its funny when someone in our church complains about having to pay to fish at a particular inlet to the little river when i've told them of two or three inlets just of the side of the road. ;) when we were in missouri, i saw people fishing off of the bridge of a couple of small streams, do you know if thats legal in NC? ( just curious. :mrgreen: )

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, I don't know, but I think it's determined by the safety of the bridge. IE: Sidewalks, ETC.

19. XLB

XLB New Member

ok, i hadn't thought about that, i'm kinda thick sometimes.

20. BeeHunter

BeeHunter New Member

Iddee, too bad they are charging to fish that thing. Didn't realize that.

Xlb, I try diferent things and go w/ the old standby's too. The internet have all sorts of patterns. Fly Fishing mag has a few different flies ea issue to try. Where did you live in MO?

Charles, Horstooth has some great fishing. Good luck.